Hydrometer Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFSal

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages before bottling of my Blueberry Weizen. It's been in secondary fermentation for close to 30 days now and I want to start taking hydrometer readings to confirm the completion of fermentation before I bottle. My secondary fermenter is also my bottling bucket so today I simply took a pint glass and filled it from the spigot and attempted to take the hydrometer reading but it just sunk to the bottom. I tried a different glass, same result. The only thing I could think of is that where the spigot is, it's obviously close to the bottom and that's where the blueberries are, sitting on the bottom. Is it because the sample I took may have more sugar because it's closer to the fruit and giving a false reading or am I doing something else wrong? I'd rather not open the lid of the bucket and expose it to air just to take a small sample from the top. Any insight?

First lets make sure your hydrometer is working properly. Put it in water and see if it floats at the 1.000 at room temperature. Then let's go from there. I find it unsettling that your hydrometer is sinking

Realized how stupid I sounded after I posted this when I looked at the glass and figured out that there has to be more liquid than the length of the hydrometer! I appreciate the replies, boy I feel dumb!

Good thing it's a beer forum, we'll chalk it up to being drunk this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back