Hydrometer Numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dole21

Reaction score
Ok, so I just made a thing of my Mr. Beer(yes yes I know soon will be upgraded)

I had bought a hydrometer. I took this reading at room temperature after I was all done.

Mine has 3 sets of numbers.
In order

(.990 to 1.120) Mine was 1.046

(Zero to 50 in increments of 4) Mine was 16

(Zero to 17 in increments of 1) Mine was 6-6.5

I know that the first number is the beginning gravity, or at least from what Ive read.

My question is, what are the other numbers? Does this look like anyone elses hydrometer out there? Ive done several searches and they all seem to talk about the beginnign gravity and the variances/change for temperature differences.

Thanks.

It is a triple scale hydrometer and those are all ways of measuring gravity and judging aclohol content using other units of measurment. One of them is measured in plato I am not sure what the other unit of measurement is called. But 1.046 sounds right for your OG.

The first is specific gravity (what we generally use on here). You take a reading when you pitch the yeast, then antoher when it is done. Subtract the two and use a formula and it will ive you the alc/v. (readings have to be adjusted for temp).

The other two are probably Plato (simular to SG and used by breweries) and potential alcohol. ie OG is 7 and final is 2 then you have 5% alc.

Stick to SG as this is the one homebrewers usally talk about, though Plato is just as valid.

Back