Hydrometer broke!!! Need help with original gravity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbrewski

Reaction score
So I was brewing my hard cider. When I was done creating the must I notice that my hydrometer was broke so I couldn't take and Original Specific Gravity reading. Could anyone give me a rough estimate of what it would have been.

I combined 2 gallons of 100% Pure Apple Juice (No Preservatives), 3/4 cup of maple syrup, and 1 cup of brown sugar.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

I Googled the weights and if they are correct the OG should be roughly 1.173

I came up with 17 lbs 6 oz for the juice, 8 oz maple syrup, and 8 oz brown sugar in 2.1 gallons.

8.7 lbs per gallon of juice... The maple syrup I had to drop the decimal off so it may be as high as 1.175. But I only added 0.1 gallons for the syrup and sugar. It may not have added that much volume.

I adjusted the numbers slightly and changed it to dark brown sugar and it shows 1.175 OG with 2.1 gallons

Just ass up the total weight of sugar in the brew. It should be on the nutrition labels in grams. Id have to think about it, but with a little research there should be a simple equation out there for a given amount of sugar in a volume of water that will spit out the gravity.

Might be as simple as 1 part sugar to 10 parts water by weight gets you a gravity of 1.100

This is using hopville's beer calculator. But it had those ingredients (apple juice)...
Does that sound about right?

Latest posts

Back