Hydrating dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragon30

Reaction score
I am brewing two lagers. I hydrated the dry yeast as directed ( H2O 95 degrees, placed in a place where temp was exactly same as fermentation Temp 58 degrees, left it over night The one I added energizer to was used after 2 days ). It has been 3 days since I added the yeast. Nothing is happening. Checked the OG and it hasn't changed.
Can I add another yeast package? This time I do not plan to hydrate first.
What happened? One of the brews, I added the hydrated yeast only. On the other, I hydrated and then added Energizer and dead yeast cells to create more active yeast. In both cases, nothing.

what temp is it at? and how old are the packs of yeast? I would add more yeast if the gravity isn't moving, you're not getting any fermentation.

You may have left it too long before using it. It's really only supposed to be rehydrated for ~15 minutes before use. Leaving it alone for a few days may have done more damage than pitching it in dry.

I am able to pitch additional yeast now, after 3 to 4 days? I have to wait until tomorrow to get the proper dry yeast.
Yea, I wasn't sure on the time frame. KBently57, you are most likely on the money that the delay messed up the process.
I am sure the temps were proper. I just waited too lang and treated it like liquid yeast............bad move.

Back