HWD Element Cool Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zibe

Reaction score
Moving from propane to electric and was wondering if I do not use a false bottom how long I would need to wait before dropping the bag in after killing power to prevent scorching the bag. Element(s) are 1500w 120v HWD. I live in southwest Texas so not too concerned with reheating during mashing. I may lift the bag to hit a 168 or so mash out temp but for initial part I was gonna just let the bag and grain settle right on the element (while off of course).

The element cools almost instantly upon being turned off.

I would keep it simple and not mash out, jmo.

I would strike a couple degrees high and anticipate losing a little heat during the rest. JMO again, don't get caught up on holding mash temps perfectly, just mash within a good range, like 154- 150, with a good crush conversion happens quickly.

Keep it simple, don't overthink it.

Cheers

I agree was just gonna try a mash out here and there to see if it had any efficiency effect. I've biab'd a few times already but with propane. Just wasn't sure about the elements. Are you a squeezer? I'm leaning that way.

And thank you, that was a quick reply from the BIAB bagmaster himself.

No not a squeezer, or I try hard not too lol.

I feel it is a much better use of time and effort to just let the bag hang over the kettle and drain by gravity using a ratchet pulley.

Gotcha I'll be doing that but I was considering throwing some kind of weight on top for a drip/squeeze hybrid. Maybe have to run some experiments in the future to test the mash out and the squeeze. Thanks again.

Gotcha I'll be doing that but I was considering throwing some kind of weight on top for a drip/squeeze hybrid. Maybe have to run some experiments in the future to test the mash out and the squeeze. Thanks again.

There ya go overthinking it again....I seriously doubt adding weight will benefit the process, and could lead to a problem....plus rinsing off the sticky weights and knocking the kettle over omg....

You mean you don't approve of suspending the basket, grains, and weights above 6 gallons of boiling wort? What could go wrong?
In my defense I wasn't going to suspend it over the boiling wort but in a separate bucket to collect drippings and I was gonna put the weights in a ziplock bag for easy rinsing but if squeezing is unnecessary then you just saved me some time.

What I'm saying is that for me the beauty of BIAB is the simplicity and minimum of equipment required.

There are many ways to go about it, none of them are wrong.

I just feel adding weights, zip loc bags, and another vessel is unnecessary and would be a hassle IMO.

Sure, you can buy silicon mitts and squeeze till your blue in the face, you don't get "better beer", you just perhaps get a little more beer.

For me, the easiest and most enjoyable way is to let the bag hang and drain over the kettle for 20-30 minutes.

Give it a little squeeze after that if you want but the amount left will approach negligible the longer you let it drain.

True 'nough I'll defer to the expert I guess the reason I switched to BIAB from batch was the whole simplicity I should stick to that

Back