HVAC Help....Brewroom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the early stages of getting the brewroom going at home over the winter. My biggest pain at this point is the flex duct(?) i guess you would call it that runs across the ceiling and down one wall for a return vent. I am trying to find a resource to either get a longer piece to wrap around the wall on the ceiling and build into a soffit and frame it out which wouldn't be a big deal.

Or (#2) do i build a smaller box that is about 6"x12" and run up the wall across the ceiling and then over to the furnace. Do this with 2x4's and osb/drywall?

I have attached photos showing how it goes from the furnace using a diagram as well as some pics of the current ductwork

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

So whats the goal: to just get it out of sight? or to get it out of the way? i.e. keep you from running your head into the thing?

Assuming you're trying to do both, I'd go with the soffit along the walls of the room. Then you could recess some lights in the soffit, build shelves underneath and make yourself look like a pro.

So whats the goal: to just get it out of sight? or to get it out of the way? i.e. keep you from running your head into the thing?

Assuming you're trying to do both, I'd go with the soffit along the walls of the room. Then you could recess some lights in the soffit, build shelves underneath and make yourself look like a pro.

I'm really just trying to get rid of the bulk along the wall. Is there a general rule on size?

8 foot ceilings and i would like to finish the room off

Figure out what the ID of the flex duct is and rebuild the run out of rectangular metal duct.
No one can tell you how big that return should have been so it's hard to know for sure if you can down size it. However, I do know that flex duct is highly resistive and turbulent compared to smooth metal so maybe it's possible that 3.25 x 14" rectangular would be a suitable replacement and that would tuck into the joist and stud spaces nicely. It LOOKs like you've got 8" diameter ID there and based on how that one turn is all kinked, I think 3.25 x 14" would flow better.

From looking at your floor plan, I'm wondering why you couldn't just have the vertical drop in the duct work take place inside the wall, rather than sticking out into the room.

As far as standard size, are referring to the duct size? I am no HVAC expert, but I would assume that the current circular duct is correctly sized. If you want to go to a rectangular intake duct to more easily frame around, it would make sense that you would just try to get the same area inside the duct. That is, cross section area of your duct = 3.14 * (radius)^2 . Once have the cross section area of your duct, look for a standard rectangular duct size that offers the same area. This also may be helpfull: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/equivalent-diameter-d_443.html

From looking at your floor plan, I'm wondering why you couldn't just have the vertical drop in the duct work take place inside the wall, rather than sticking out into the room.

As far as standard size, are referring to the duct size? I am no HVAC expert, but I would assume that the current circular duct is correctly sized. If you want to go to a rectangular intake duct to more easily frame around, it would make sense that you would just try to get the same area inside the duct. That is, cross section area of your duct = 3.14 * (radius)^2 . Once have the cross section area of your duct, look for a standard rectangular duct size that offers the same area. This also may be helpfull: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/equivalent-diameter-d_443.html

I like that idea of running that section down the wall. Currently there is a set of cabinets in the opposite corner that are 5' long uppers/lowers that i am going to move to just the left of the return as it is an exact fit. So the bump out wouldn't bother me either way.

I was looking on HD website, guessing i'll have to have the metal box duct built?

Option 3....

Use wall for return up wall. Frame out a box across the ceiling to hold the current flexible duct work. This would at least get it out of the 'work' area of the room.

Going to post a few other pics of the space, i'm pretty excited about this but just can't seem to determine where to start. design then get space to fit....or tidy up (rearrange duct, take out everything, epoxy floor, stud bare walls, run electrical, install hood....)

The home depot website shows that they have 3.25 x 14" duct in 3' long sections as well as 90 degree turns in both directions. If cheap is your goal, you can't beat the pricing there. You may want to go to a real HVAC supply house to get much longer premade sections or have them make them up for you.

Back