Hurricane Burner Height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally building my brewstand. Using three Hurricanes on LPG. Keggels at this point but maybe someday SS pots (when my ship comes in)

I see that most builds allow for adjustment and I intend to as well. But how far down from the top of the stand is a good starting point? As I understand it the Hurricanes don't have a very tall flame so does that require them to be set closer to the bottom of the Keggel?

Great question! I am going to be swapping the burners in my stand with hurricane burners shortly. I have the Hurricanes already. I am curious about the answer also.

You could start at 1 1/2" below keg rim and adjust from there as needed to stay out of the way of the spent gasses rolling out from under the keg rim. If you put some 1" vent holes in the skirt you could place the burner closer to the underside of the keg without having the spent gasses bothering the flame.

I used the hurricanes for my system as well. I had one on my old system and found that 4" was about right below bottom surface of the boiling vessel. Mounted all 3 on the new system at that height and they work perfectly. When the burner is at full open, the flames just start touching the kettles. They are flat bottoms though.

Bill

I have two Hurricanes powered by natural gas. They are about 3.5" below the bottom surface of my sanke kegs.

I see no reason to change anything.

That said, just be aware that when you turn your gas on, you should have a lit match already on the burner. The way that sanke sits, gas will lurk and you will get a bit of a surprise when lighting after you have turned your gas valve.

I'm finally building my brewstand. Using three Hurricanes on LPG. Keggels at this point but maybe someday SS pots (when my ship comes in)

I see that most builds allow for adjustment and I intend to as well. But how far down from the top of the stand is a good starting point? As I understand it the Hurricanes don't have a very tall flame so does that require them to be set closer to the bottom of the Keggel?

Where are you getting your hands on hurricane burners? Northern Brewer has been out of stock for a while now.

You could start at 1 1/2" below keg rim and adjust from there as needed to stay out of the way of the spent gasses rolling out from under the keg rim. If you put some 1" vent holes in the skirt you could place the burner closer to the underside of the keg without having the spent gasses bothering the flame.

Thanks for the info Kevin.:D

Yes they touch the bottom no they don't lick up the sides.
img1354f.jpg

Could one of you Hurricane owners please tell me the size of the
main gas inlet jet and also the size of the flame holes. You will need a good set of drills, and then carefully select a drill shank that just fits nice in the holes. Once I have the info on the two hole sizes I can make myself one, as no one over here sells them. I'm not fussed if the drills sizes are Imperial, metric, or number drills, but Please please please would someone check them out for me.

Thanks

The burner flame openings are 1/8" - 3/32" nominal, jet size varies with pressure available, opening for jet fitting in cast venturi/mixer is 1/8" NPT, hope that helps. I have built a couple burners from 1" SS tubing in order to have a burner with 12+" diameters to spread heat around on thin bottom SS pots, 3/32" holes on 1/4" centers + - 45 degrees from top center line, jet 1/16" on 10 PSI LP.

Klaude...Thanks a lot for that info...So I can get a full grasp of the proportions, more questions...How far apart are the flame holes on the spokes? Also how wide are those spokes, and what is the inner diameter and outer diameter of the rim. I will fabricate one to stock size out of square steel tube, with an octagonal rim instead of round and see how it goes..and will then experiment from there.

Thanks again! That's now another project i've got that work are going to have to inadvertantly sponsor!!! Ha Ha

Latest posts

Back