Humidor IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a clone of cigar citys humidor IPA. It calls for Spanish cedar in the secondary which I found online. My question is how to sanitize this wood. I don't want to soak in alcohol because of the flavor. Should I just put in the secondary and not worry or what.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm going to be brewing a clone of cigar citys humidor IPA. It calls for Spanish cedar in the secondary which I found online. My question is how to sanitize this wood. I don't want to soak in alcohol because of the flavor. Should I just put in the secondary and not worry or what.
Thanks.

You know...I wonder if "canning" would work. Put the pieces inside a mason jar with a bit of water, put it inside a pressure cooker with more water, cook it at 15psi for 30 minutes.

Anyone think this might work?

I think the canner will work great. I keg, so I just toss the wood into the kegs. I'm drinking a humidor clone right this moment in fact. BTW, I get spanish cedar planks at my local Woodcraft store. Probably not as cheap as online though.

Canning sounds like a fine idea, but if you don't want to bother with it I would honestly give alcohol another look. Soaking the wood in high-proof vodka or Everclear should deal with any resident bugs, and if you dump the whole thing into your beer you won't lose any wood flavor and there shouldn't be any noticeable flavor from the booze.

The recipe is from this months Zymurgy and sounds amazing. I'm thinking of just throwing the wood right in there F it right! I can't wait to brew this beer and then drink it. I have never had it since I'm in mass but I can still try and make it.

What was your online source? I'm interested in brewing this recipe as well.

I brew a IIPA that is a slight mod on some Pliney the Elder clone. Then I add spanish cedar.

Believe me, if you make a good IIPA with a nice malty character and inyourface hops, then add spanish cedar, you'll hit it. Even though the spanish cedar dominates, you'll want to get a nice complex hop schedule in your recipe.

BTW, I drink a lot of humidor IPA from CC (it's seasonal down here, but right now it's all over in cans). The following recipe will get you a close clone. I will pick some up and do a side-by-side though.

Oh, add a bunch of spanish cedar. That's not in the recipe, but of course you'll need it. I added a cut-up plank that was about 2' long, 4" wide, and 1/4" thick, cut into a bunch of strips.

pte.jpg

Sorry, Passed, what I meant to ask was "What is your online source for the spanish cedar?" I have the recipe from this month's zymurgy.

Sorry, Passed, what I meant to ask was "What is your online source for the spanish cedar?" I have the recipe from this month's zymurgy.

I found it on Amazon also it was free shipping. I found a piece 1/4"x1.5"x24" for under $6

Assume you could also roast the wood in an oven for awhile, at something like 175 degrees so as not to burn it but to kill bacteria.

Isn't Cedar considered a very oily wood, I thought the oils helped preserve it. Would these oils be an issue?

I was reading on the post that passed put up and someone suggested boiling it in water. Just wondering what that might do to the wood flavor

Back