HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the best picture, but here, you'll see my yellow wires all leading back to A4. (Actually, it looks like A5...regardless, it's an analog pin.)

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.16.55 AM.jpg

This is my wiring set up. I have the same red (VCC), black (GND) and yellow (DATA) sensor wires. I still need to put it in a case. My data wire is hooked up to A4 and I have the digital 5 and 6 hooked up to the relay.

Looking at the left of the picture where the glare is do you have the sensor wires going through some Mini XLR's?

Maybe double check the wiring on those.

20140814_153153.jpg

Maybe I've given everyone the wrong impression. Mine works...100 percent. I am simply trying to help Scooby.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.51.35 AM.png

Sorry my mistake. That's what happens when you have too many breakfast beers.

What are people doing to extend the wires for this? Where to get the wire, are there multiple connectors?

My point about wire colors earlier was to point out that just because you all have black red yellow, does not mean they are wired up the same way.

scoobyd63, I had to use the digital interface for mine as well. I figured the reason was due to the OneWire libraries for Arduino that I am using to test my configuration were coded to use the digital side. Maybe the BrewPi "image" has it's own code for accessing the OneWire devices. I haven't gotten that far yet.

@Ryan Thanks for you response. I pulled all wires and redid the connection. There was a short in my 5V wire from the Arduino to the termination block I have.
Now the issue is that I can see both sensors, I set one as the fridge temp, but the other shows as device type "none"? here is a screen shot.

fermcooler.JPG

Yeah, that's odd Scooby. Both of mine show up as "Temp Sensor". Glad you found that short though...you're getting closer!

@wbarber69 - that did it.
I want to thank everyone for there help. I am a little rough on the programming/device setup. I think I am in good shape, so on to the build of the chamber!

Was looking for a power supply for Arduino... Check out 3 bullet points.....

Picture2.jpg

Buy it right now. Don't ask questions just buy it. You must have that wall wart in your life…

"The set will let you very excited and attractive" .... Soooooo, what do they want me to plug it in to?

Could somebody explain the chamber device vs beer1. I have the chamber device as the chest freezer and beer1 as my heat wrap. I have been doing a test with water and 12 hours later they are both at the same temp which was the fridge(freezer) temp, and well below the programmed beer temp.

Thanks,
-G

It's not the best picture, but here, you'll see my yellow wires all leading back to A4. (Actually, it looks like A5...regardless, it's an analog pin.)

That's where I'm headed. Looks great :D

Trying to find a completed breadboard layout... do you happen to have one, or does anybody else? I just went through every page of the topic and couldn't find what appeared to be a final schematic with a breadboard instead of wire nuts :(

That's where I'm headed. Looks great :D

Trying to find a completed breadboard layout... do you happen to have one, or does anybody else? I just went through every page of the topic and couldn't find what appeared to be a final schematic with a breadboard instead of wire nuts :(

I can try to get one laid out for you. I'm sure others would benefit as well. I'll work on that this afternoon. With a heat index of between 100-105 degrees, I'm sure as hell not going to be outside.

I can try to get one laid out for you. I'm sure others would benefit as well. I'll work on that this afternoon. With a heat index of between 100-105 degrees, I'm sure as hell not going to be outside.

Great! Thanks Ryan, that'd be awesome.

Also, I'll split the weather difference with ya. NYC has been far too cold for the summer :rockin:

I just finished boxing it up in a harbor freight ammo box. Have mini xlrs for the sensors. The three orange cords are power in, cold and hot. Then I have an always on outlet that runs the pi and possibly a fan.

I'm waiting on my panel mount USB connector but it will be an easy add on.

1408904443763.jpg

1408904493181.jpg

1408904545740.jpg

1408904582902.jpg

1408904607113.jpg

Ok, I am not an Adobe Illustrator whiz...so no comments please. :)

Here's basically how I did my breadboard wiring.

ArduinoWiringDiagram.png

Ok, I am not an Adobe Illustrator whiz...so no comments please. :)

Here's basically how I did my breadboard wiring.

Thanks for that, will have to try this week after work and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid question but do not want to assume anything and delay this project. Would this male to female pack of wiring work for connecting the SSR to the arduino board? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6SOGC4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They look the same as Dolomieu's photo but I don't want to get it wrong. Thx.

A better deal is these that i bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQA5BWU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You get all 3 types, Male/Male, Female/Female, Male/Female. All for only a bit more than the one you listed.

Thanks Fuzze. My Amazon order hadn't shipped so I cancelled it and ordered the one you suggested. Appreciate it.

In reviewing the diagram on the first page. Can someone point me to where I can get one of these? (Or provide a good search term so I get the correct product) Thanks!

Presentation1.jpg

I know this is a little off topic but im debating building a brewpi and was wondering if it can control two keezers? Or should I still with 2 seperate STC-1000 controllers?

In reviewing the diagram on the first page. Can someone point me to where I can get one of these? (Or provide a good search term so I get the correct product) Thanks!

I just ordered these. It's enough to do this project and the future one's that sprout from this.

I know this is a little off topic but im debating building a brewpi and was wondering if it can control two keezers? Or should I still with 2 seperate STC-1000 controllers?

Yes, but you'll need 2 arduinos, 2x the temp sensors, and 2x the actuators. I'm building mine to control a side by side fridge. I'll update the thread when I make some progress :)

Help me please.
I have my PI set up and can access it via my brewpi page mine happens to be 10.0.0.118 I have my connections set up via the directions just like this and the page sees the device but I get no temps. I have not gone any farther than connecting the uno. I did not want to mess with the rest until i have this working I figure section by section. What am I doing wrong??

Capture.jpg

ArduinoWiringDiagram.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back