How's this recipe fellas? (APA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

What do you guys think of this recipe for my tomorrows brew? (APA)

2 Row Pale Malt 8.5 lbs
Crystal 45L 0.5 lbs
Veinna Malt 0.5 lbs
Carafoam 0.5 lbs

Northern Brewer 1.00 oz AA 8.0 @ 60 min
Cascade 0.5 oz AA 5.1 @ 15 min
Cascade 0.5 oz AA 5.1 @ 5 min

Mash @ 154F for 90 min
Mash-out @ 160F for 10 min

SRM 8
IBU 33

Any comments would be much appreciated...

Cheers,
Grimmy

Looks good to me. It isn't too much different from my UPA house recipe. (It changes often, by the way.) I used to use the NB, Cascade combination, but I couldn't get NB in my last order to Hops Direct, so I am using a combination of Magnum, Cascade, and am experimenting with Amarillo. I keep my Vienna between 1 and 2 pounds, and 1/2 to 1# of 20 to 60 crystal, depending what I have on hand. I am not sure what your efficiency is, but I usually target 1.050. I like Safale 5 for this brew.

Howdy,

Cool thanks for the input... I usually hit around 75% ish. I wonder what would happened if I increased the vienna to a pound.

When you are making any wort you can cool a sample and taste it. That will give you some idea how it tastes although it will be sweet. A half pound of grain is not much percentage of the total grist for 5 gallons and will have a small difference. I doubt that you could hardly detect much difference unless making 2 batches of brew at the same time with the extra grain in one of them. Sometimes I change a grain and find that I like the old recipe better. This takes time and it always pays to fill a few bottles to compare (although you are kegging) from older batches.

Back