How's my pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And1129

Reaction score
I just brewed an IPA yesterday with a fairly new setup and my first time using my new pH meter. So i just want to run my numbers past you guys and see if i got in the good range.

First of all, my ion totals after my salt additions were near: 11 ppm Mg+2, 13 ppm Na+, 136 ppm Ca+2, 247 ppm SO4-2, 57 ppm HCO3-, and 78 ppm Cl-. My alkalinity should be near 46 mg/L.

pH of my kettle water was 7.8

I mashed 11.5 lbs of Maris Otter Pale malt, 2.0 lbs of CaraMunich 45L, and 2.0 lbs of red wheat malt.

Near the beginning of my mash, I read a pH of 5.8 measured at 19C while the mash was at 65.1C. Then, near the end of the mash (60 min) the the pH i observed was 5.6 measured at 18C and the mash temp was at 64.2C. I got decent mash effeciency, but still below where i'd like to be, so how does my mashing look? Anything I should do differently? Thanks for input.

I target quite a bit lower than that. 5.3

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, i'm gonna brew a porter next and see what that pH looks like with this new setup. Next time i brew a lighter pale-ish beer i'll probably acidify along with similar salt additions.

Latest posts

Back