Hows my IPA look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)

0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min)
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (30 min)

0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min)

2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Kind of just made this up in 15 minutes. Any suggestions would be great. I'm planning on partial mashing the 1 lb. of 2 row, don't like to just use extract...

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)

0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min)
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (30 min)

0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min)

2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Kind of just made this up in 15 minutes. Any suggestions would be great. I'm planning on partial mashing the 1 lb. of 2 row, don't like to just use extract...

Why the one pound of two-row? I mean, I know you want to do a PM but if you want to do a PM, use more grain. One pound of two-row is like one grain of salt in a dish. Not going to do a thing at all! But with a little more, you could have a good PM. More two-row certainly, but possibly some other malts, too. You could use a little crystal or a little aromatic malt, or a little victory malt, or a little amber malt, etc, depending on what you want in the grain bill.

The hopping looks interesting. I thnk the sterling will be totally lost with the intense grapefruity amarillo. I rarely use 30 minute hops additions- you don't get much flavor from them, not like you do with 15 minute additions, but you don't get much bitterness from then either. I'd get rid of that addition, and either add more hops to the 60 minute addition if you need more bitterness, or more later in the boil for flavor/aroma.

Why the one pound of two-row? I mean, I know you want to do a PM but if you want to do a PM, use more grain. One pound of two-row is like one grain of salt in a dish. Not going to do a thing at all! But with a little more, you could have a good PM. More two-row certainly, but possibly some other malts, too. You could use a little crystal or a little aromatic malt, or a little victory malt, or a little amber malt, etc, depending on what you want in the grain bill.

The hopping looks interesting. I thnk the sterling will be totally lost with the intense grapefruity amarillo. I rarely use 30 minute hops additions- you don't get much flavor from them, not like you do with 15 minute additions, but you don't get much bitterness from then either. I'd get rid of that addition, and either add more hops to the 60 minute addition if you need more bitterness, or more later in the boil for flavor/aroma.

Appreciate the input, This is only my fourth recipe, first of this style so I am very new to making them. I think I am going to do more of a partial mash like you suggested. I'll have to adjust the hops a bunch. Thanks again.

Appreciate the input, This is only my fourth recipe, first of this style so I am very new to making them. I think I am going to do more of a partial mash like you suggested. I'll have to adjust the hops a bunch. Thanks again.

I don't think I helped much! It's got a solid base but I'd like to see some other malts in there if you want to do a partial mash. Otherwise, it's a "bland" grainbill. Even something like Munich malt could give it a bit more malt backbone if you don't want to go with a sweeter malt like crystal malt.

so i decided to add 1 lb of munic malt and I want to add some victory malt as well, however i don't want this beer to have too much of that biscuit flavor, how much do you think i should add? half a pound? also I am going to change up the hops completely. I want this to be an all-american hops blend. Any suggestions?

alright heres what I got.

4.00 lb Light Dry Extract
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Victory Malt

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU

0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Still a little confused on how to create the hop squedule. I guess all i can do is experiment haha

Back