Howdy from Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASGiaquinta

Reaction score
I finally decided to take my love of good beer to the next level and brewed my first last Sunday. I made a simple amber brew and I snuck a taste of the leftovers after moving it into my secondary fermenter last night.... I am still surprised at how good it tastes so early on and while it was flat.

I can't wait until its ready, and I'm already planning my next batch! :mug:

Welcome to HBT! I live just 20 miles south of Boston. Where do you shop for ingredients?

I went to Beer & Wine Hobby up in Woburn, MA. You can check out their website at http://beer-wine.com/. That's where I picked up my equipment and ingredients for the first brew. Seemed like a pretty decent place though it's the first homebrew supplier I have ever visited so I don't have much to compare to.

There's also a supplier out in Marlborough, MA called Strange Brew that's just a few minutes away from work for me, I'll report back once I've checked it out.

Welcome from the South Shore!

GregJ, I live in Raynham and shop at The Witches Brew in Foxboro. Its a small shop with limited hours but he's got just about everything you need and the prices are decent.

Welcome aboard! I used to order all my stuff from beer-wine. The service was always great. Their prices leave a bit to be desired, and they gouge on shipping, so I had to move on. I'd be interested in what you think of Strange Brew. I went there once when I was in the area and did not have a good experience. The guy working seemed like he was stoned out of his mind and he had no clue about anything in the store and the store was a complete mess. That was a while back though, so maybe they've stepped it up a bit. Of course, I'd be happy if I had any LHBS to run to in a pinch.

I made it out to Strange Brew last night. The store is definitely still a mess, and the guy working there seemed like he could have been a bit stoned... however it was still a decent experience. I talked with him a bit and he was very knowledgeable and answered my questions as well as gave me a few bottling tips. The place in Woburn is superior, however I will probably visit Strange Brew again as it's a convenient location for me.

The Witches Brew is a MUCH better place to shop. Most everything in stock and there are two taps there with 'samples.' A few of "The Irregulars" keep a rotation of our beers there for everyone to try while you wait for your grains to get ground up.

PTN

I went to Beer & Wine Hobby up in Woburn, MA. You can check out their website at http://beer-wine.com/. That's where I picked up my equipment and ingredients for the first brew. Seemed like a pretty decent place though it's the first homebrew supplier I have ever visited so I don't have much to compare to.

There's also a supplier out in Marlborough, MA called Strange Brew that's just a few minutes away from work for me, I'll report back once I've checked it out.

For the record I've used this shop for about 14 years. It has changed ownership once and moved twice in that time. Strange Brew is a total ripoff (it took someone else from the area to convince me of that), alas I use it when I have to. They don't track their inventory; just yesterday when I asked I was told doing so is a waste of time. Don't ask the owner, Brian, about all-grain brewing as he believes it's pointlessly expensive and too much hassle. He is also quite candid that he uses ready-made extract kits to make the beer he submits for competition. The same goes Homebrew Emporium in W.Boylston. There is a young kid who, because of ripped bags, old grain, etc., has just gotten into doing mashes, who works at Strange Brew on Saturday nights. He is excited to learn more. The dented can and old malt syrup stock at Strange Brew is worth taking a peak at. It is $12 per can (buy 3 cans get one free). Strangebrew doesn't only marginally refridgerates their hops and yeasts, in a vertical bookcase fridge without doors. I asked them about this and the response I was given is that he doesn't care, it looks good and makes it easier for people to just grab something. I was there looking for an airlock recently and they didn't have any. "What you see is what you get. I can't help you." The Wyeast there is $8 minimum. Rebelbrewer.com has some of the best prices I've seen, handsdown, and the shipping to Mass. is fairly inexpensive. With that said Northernbrewer.com is a huge rip-off but occasionally convienent.

Based upon the one time I've been there, the shop in Woburn is fantastic. The old lady really knows her inventory and can answer all kinds of questions. She can tell you stopper sizes off the top of her head. The stock an excellent selection of yeast and hops. They keep them in cold refridgeration. Another good shop is in Franklin, MA. The Witches Brew I believe. It is run by a man out of basement legitimately as a hobby. He is a chemist by trade and can answer many brewing questions. I have never personally dealt with him but I've been told time and again that he is the one local (read: guy from eastern Mass. to deal with) for more advanced issues.

Another good shop is in Foxboro, MA. The Witches Brew I believe. It is run by a man out of basement legitimately as a hobby. He is a chemist by trade and can answer many brewing questions. I have never personally dealt with him but I've been told time and again that he is the one local (read: guy from eastern Mass. to deal with) for more advanced issues.

Fixed that for ya. Yeah the owner, Steve, is a great guy.

Don't forget about Modern Brewer on Mass Ave in Cambridge (near the Arlington line). I got my first kit there close to 20 years ago! It's changed owners at least once since then, but when I was last there about 4 years ago (before I moved to VT), they were still going strong.

But Beer & Wine Hobby is definitely better stocked - I think they're primarily a mail order company that also allows walk-ins. They also had a decent selection of ready to go extract/specialty grain kits (and wine kits). I wasn't doing all-grain at the time, so I can't recall what there grain selection/prices were like.

But, most importantly - welcome!

Welcome from Clinton, MA!

I also have a some good experiences at Modern Brewer, but by all accounts, it seems I should check out the Witches Brew and Beer and Wine.

Nice to see some folks from my neighborhood on the board!

Welcome from Weymouth, Ma.! I too just started, finished my second batch a holiday ale from a kit. Reviews have been great so far.

I'm in the process of jumping in whole hog and am building an automated electric HERMs set up.

I've gon to the Witches Brew and the Modern Brew shop. Both seemed excellent to me.

Welcome Bostonian! Was just there with my SWMBO a couple weeks ago for the first time. Incredible city.

Had a great time at Boston BeerWorks sampling there brews there. Had 16 of their own on tap at the time and was really pleased with the offerings. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back