How would you store a freshly made keg of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srdjan Ostric

Reaction score
So I have room for 3 5 gallon kegs in my keezer...
I am thinking of brewing a brown ale and then kegging it, but is that a good idea? And what does that mean? Should I force carbonate it and put it in the refrigerator or should I just cold condition it for a couple of months in the refrigerator? What would you do if you had an extra 5 gallons of beer but you had no space to serve it?

Throw it in the fridge before carbing, in case you have a leak in your posts.

If you keep the 4th keg in the fridge, force carbonate it, then you can put a picnic tap on it, and drink that beer too.

I have left them for a couple of months, just make sure you pressurize the lid to get a good seal, keg lube helps
Do you get good conditioning? What's the kind of sugar that you use or what's your strategy for conditioning The keg?. How much sugar do you use?.

Beer stales faster at room temp, and some styles are more prone than others.
I suggest waiting to carb until you're ready drink, because if a seal gives out the best scenario is you wasted co2. Worst case is you have beer all over the place. I've had that happen, and I know of many other members here have had that issue too.

Do you get good conditioning? What's the kind of sugar that you use or what's your strategy for conditioning The keg?. How much sugar do you use?.
Yes I get good carbonation.
I do the same as @govner1
In this post; Priming in corny keg ?!

Except I use floating dip tubes and wait 2-3 weeks depending on kegerator space

Force carb and refrigerate.

Kegs need pressure to seal properly. So you need pressure in the keg to prevent it from getting horribly oxidized. So you have to carbonate it no matter what.

If you store at room temperature you better have 100% faith in your sanitation practices. Refrigeration is just that little bit of insurance that it will stay better for longer.

So I have room for 3 5 gallon kegs in my keezer...
I am thinking of brewing a brown ale and then kegging it, but is that a good idea? And what does that mean? Should I force carbonate it and put it in the refrigerator or should I just cold condition it for a couple of months in the refrigerator? What would you do if you had an extra 5 gallons of beer but you had no space to serve it?
Why note keg condition it?
You can leave it at room temperature (70°-74°F) for ten days or so then refrigerate.

If you set aside at room temp, make sure you force any air in the keg out.

After kegging the beer, I seal the keg and purge out any oxygen and make sure the lid is sealed. All kegged beer gets chilled as soon as possible, usually never more than a day outside the fridge. Everyone has a different route, but this is my practice and it works for me. Just as Bel Air mentioned, keep your beer as cold as possible. This helps the yeast settle out for clearer beer. All my kegged beers are force carbonated and that colder temp helps them carbonate, provided it's connected to the CO2 tank at serving pressure. It takes a couple weeks to fully carbonate but it conditions at same time.

How to store a fresh keg in 3 easy steps
1. place beer in keg
2. empty keg into liver
3 how to store a fresh keg in 2 easy steps
I think you're on to something huge...

First, don't brew any more beer until you empty one or two kegs. Problem goes away. But if you have the ability to store cooler than room temp, do so. Beers in a keg will last a lot longer than you think at relatively cool ramps. If your room temp is 80f, it will degrade faster than at 40f. You still have yeast in the beer and it will slowly die... if I thought it would be say a month or two before it went into the fridge, I'd try to crash for a day or two and the. Pull off a couple of glasses to get as much yeast as I could. Then just let it sit... btw, beer in cans last months at room temp.

I agree with JSCHEIN. When I don't have room in my keezer, I naturally cabonate the keg by adding priming sugar and let is sit at room temp. until I have room in the keezer. Of course, I hook up the gas and purge the headspace as soon as I keg it to ensure a good seal and minimize oxygen exposure. I have kept kegs at room temp. for months without any issues.

Back