How we sour Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is on my list of things to try this summer.. Thought I would have done it by now. Do you think transferring it to an igloo at 120* and leaving it outside in the sun (80-90* during the day, 60-70 at night) would keep it hot enough long enough?

Ruger988, yes, that should work fine. It might take more than 24 hours depending on how sour you want it to be. I used an old corny keg to sour mine on a hot day (left it in the sun) and it worked great. I purged the headspace with C02 and left it alone until the next day until I finished it off with the boil. It turned out great. Since there was only five gallons that fit in the corny, I saved about a gallon of mash in a pot to add to the boil later to have more volume. Dedicating a 15.5 gallon keg to sour mashing, is my next project because the Berliner weisse is so good this time of year.

I thing o2 is more of a problem than heat. I would be tempted to say sour the wort in a 5 g carboy if you cant really seal off the mash. A corney would be great for a mash.

I just brewed 10gal of a Berliner yesterday. My approach was mash and sparge as normal. I collected 11 gal in two 6.6 gal bucket fermenters and cooled to 120F. I then dropped in some crushed grain that was bagged, put the lids on half way and ran my co2 line in the bucket to purge out the o2 as best as possible. I then sealed the lids and placed them in my attic over the garage. Easily maintains 100F. Hopping this method yields good results

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back