How until 1st year rhizomes break ground?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruegerBrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone i have searched threads over and over looking for some information on how long it should take for newly planted rhizomes to break ground. I know this answer is subject to several criteria, but I am a very inpatient person and I just would like ballpark figure. I live in Maryland and planted cascades a week ago. I made mounds with half compost & half native soil about 4 inches tall, planted the rhizomes horizontally per directions and covered them with 2 inches of miracle grow flower/vegetable topsoil, and have watered them lightly twice a day. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the rhizomes and my mounds if it helps...

image-904513872.jpg

image-758901993.jpg

image-397629361.jpg

image-1536138339.jpg

I don't know, but I would put down plastic and mulch so you don't have to weed eat around them.

Thanks Steve I'll have to get around to that. Go Irish. Does anyone remember how long it took for their first year hops to break ground??

I don't remember when I planted my 1st year hops last year, but I think it was around 5/2. They broke ground around 5/16. This year they broke ground on 3/15.

In general it's better to water more heavily less often. I know there's a test you can do by sticking your finger in the soil and seeing if it's moist. I'm not exactly sure of the details, but I usually stick my finger down about an inch. If it's pretty dry, I water. If not, I wait. There's probably others that can give better advice.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let the soil dry out a little more and stop looking for shoots until another week or two.

Can anyone comment on the soil moisture test?

kruegerBrew said:
Thanks for all the input. I'll let the soil dry out a little more and stop looking for shoots until another week or two.

Can anyone comment on the soil moisture test?

Just FYI, I'm on my third planting of rhizomes this spring. Since the winter was so mild, the rhizomes I got from freshops had already sprouted shoots. My experience in the past was three weeks or so from planting until shoots, but this is highly weather-dependent. I'll have to disagree on watering. Any perennial in its first year needs frequent, short waterings. The root system is small and shallow in the first year of growth, and you want to keep the soil moist in the upper layers for these roots. That said, hops do like well-drained soil. In MA, I usually mix a bunch of sand (and a ton of compost) into the hole. My mother always said, " a fifty dollar hole for a five dollar plant".

Latest posts

Back