How to wet hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Looking for tips on how to make the best use of wet hops. Already know to use 5 times the weight of pellet hops.

Best use it to use them in place of your late addition hops. 30min To flameout. Use dry hops for dry hopping and bittering

+1 use a neutral hop for bittering, enjoy your single hop late addition in a light malt beer like a pale or IPA. Or do a black ale. Great way to get to appreciate your hops.

My thoughts on wet hopping in case anyone wants to try it.

OK, wet hopping and growing my own hops is not for me. The main problem is the volume of hops needed (5x pellet hops), the amount of water (wort) all that vegetation holds (less beer in the carboy) and the vegetable matter that needs to be filtered. Could not drain the brew pot through the drain valve because the hop cones plugged it. Had to siphon, starting and restarting the siphon several times as the siphon tube got plugged often.

Put beer in fermentation fridge last night and have a solid two inches of sediment in the bottom of the carboy (less beer in the bottles) . Add to that the time to grow and harvest the hops and, well, just way to much work to make one wet hopped beer a year.

Back