How To Wax An Oak Barrel [VIDEO]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, not criticizing here, just thinking of pros and cons of various options. I will be using an oak barrel in the coming months.

If you wax it then you really can't cut it up later into chips. Which for a cheap guy like me is what I will likely do after about 4 uses.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to wrap it in cellophane?

i didnt listen to the audio b/c im at work, but whats the advantange to waxing? Less oxygen and evaporation through the wood? When my oak barrel started to leak (from being empty) I just added water and let it sit for a day for the wood to swell. No more leaks.

Atl300zx said:
i didnt listen to the audio b/c im at work, but whats the advantange to waxing? Less oxygen and evaporation through the wood? When my oak barrel started to leak (from being empty) I just added water and let it sit for a day for the wood to swell. No more leaks.

The guy in the video mentioned that the "angels' share" in dry area is mitigated through the use of wax. So yes, in theory the purpose is to limit breathing of oxygen and to limit evaporation.

WarrantedFED said:
The guy in the video mentioned that the "angels' share" in dry area is mitigated through the use of wax. So yes, in theory the purpose is to limit breathing of oxygen and to limit evaporation.

I still don't get why a guy couldn't just use Saran Wrap or shrinkwrap???

Back