How to waterproof my brewstand/cupboard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalmYourself

Reaction score
I've recently redone my kitchen with melamine and I had a whole lot left over so I turned it into a brewstand/cupboard thing which I plan to use to store my brew equipment in as well as to brew on top of.

P1070213.jpg

The problem is, how do I weatherproof it so it doesn't turn to mush in a few weeks once the rain starts? The rainy season is REALLY rainy around here, we're talking HARD rain at least 4 times a week.

The melamine should be ok, but how do I make sure the edging doesn't leak into the actual chipboard and cause problems when exposed to water?

Anybody have any ideas?

That's a tough call. I suppose you could get some enamel paint or epoxy and put it on really thick. However, any cracks or gaps you miss are going to let moisture in there.

I imagine it will sit outside where it is in the pic because that cabinet must weigh as much as a Yugo.
You might try building a fence/wall on that porch to give some shelter. At least make sure you do as said above and seal the exposed edges with a good paint. If it does get wet or is continually humid it still may crumble...good luck and let us know.

Get it up off the floor, and keep a tarp over it. Wipe up any brewing spills, and hope you get a year or two out of it.

That chipboard stuff has no hope in a wet environment.

+1 Even a damp environment will doom it in short order. That particle board will suck up moisture like a sponge and it will rapidly swell and disintegrate.

Yeah, I pretty much realised it was on a limited lifespan but at least there's storage space for now.

I'm going to seal all the edges up with silicon sealant and paint the exposed sides with a epoxy sealant. That'll hopefully at least buy me some time out of it.

Back