How to use up Crisp Amber Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
Through a mistake in picking up grains…I ended up with 3lbs of Crisp Amber malt. I have used in in the past for DF 90 Minute IPA but my other half has decided she is no longer a fan of the 90 minute.

So, none of my staple recipes call for Amber and I am looking for suggestions to use it up. I brew in 10g batches…ideally would like a recipe where I can use it all in one shot. Anyone use it often enough to recommend a recipe?

Thanks!

Make DFH90.

Tell other half to brew her own damn beer.

j/k, a porter sounds like a fantastic way to use that up.

I'm about to use some in a Fuller's 1845 clone.

Oh yeah, a ten gallon batch should use exactly 3lbs from my searching.

Fullers 1845 clone would be pretty good. Any good recipes? A double/triple stout is also tasty with plenty of Amber malt.

Fullers 1845 clone would be pretty good. Any good recipes?......

There's a 1845 recipe based on Jamil's radio show here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-fullers-1845-a-205873/

Here's the podcast where they interview a Fuller's brewer.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/683

It has some really good info, but you have to skip through a lot of commercials. The Fuller's guy said very specifically to use Simpson's amber. It can sometimes be tricky to get that here. Should be easier in the UK. I suspect it may have a bit of an extra dark crystal as well as the 75L. Not sure though.

Oh, yeah, someone on that recipe thread mentioned that they use just a bit of chocolate for color too.

argazela - that made me chuckle.

Never though of the starter but I do like the porter or Fullers idea…choices choices!

Back