how to use mango

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I want to add mango in a recipe but not sure how should proceed. Should I go with fresh mango fruit or just use an extract juice? if I use fruits should I just cook them a bit to kill bacterial and throw it in the secondary?

how much for a 5-6 gallon batch?

While I intend to substitute in frozen mangos instead of 3 or 4 fresh (not overripe) mangos, pureed, later this year in a Gordon Strong's Hibiscus Mango Blonde, where Strong says:
After primary fermentation, rack onto pureed mangos. (Mangos change flavor as they age so it’s important to get them from the same tree or source whenever possible. Overripe mangos make for a somewhat putrid final product. Their sweetness also varies depending on the exact type of mango-some are sweeter than others.)

I made one over the summer, it was a competition where everyone got the same ingredients, except for a "mystery ingredient". The mystery ingredient was mangoes. I bought 9 honey mangoes, peeled them, put them in water on the stove and brought to 160 for 20 minutes to pasteurize them, and immediately put in zip lock bags and put them in the freezer. I head this "bursts" the cells to release more of the flavor?

I then racked the beer to secondary on top of the mangoes. This gave it a mild fruit flavor, I was happy with it as a summer beer experiment.

I made one over the summer, it was a competition where everyone got the same ingredients, except for a "mystery ingredient". The mystery ingredient was mangoes. I bought 9 honey mangoes, peeled them, put them in water on the stove and brought to 160 for 20 minutes to pasteurize them, and immediately put in zip lock bags and put them in the freezer. I head this "bursts" the cells to release more of the flavor?

I then racked the beer to secondary on top of the mangoes. This gave it a mild fruit flavor, I was happy with it as a summer beer experiment.

have you done a puree with it or just dump it in the secondary in whole or slices?

Trader Joe's sells frozen mango. I dumped a bag (1lb, I think) into secondary with a saison and it turned out great. I make it every year now.

Looking into doing a Mango Ipa soon, any help,tips would be greatly appreciated... have an oatmeal stout on 6lbs of organic cherries now waiting to bottle..

I hate the taste of puréed mango. I've used Costco frozen mango 1lb per gallon of beer racked into secondary for a couple weeks. Months later could still get good mango flavor in the beer. Go lite on hops as mango has a very subtle flavor, can be lost easily to hops.

Thanks @dixon917, thinking of maybe adding around 8lbs of mango since i have 3 different hops to add.. not pureeing it, mango chunks in muslin bag in secondary, thats what im thinking so far

I've tried both puree in secondary and extract at bottling. I wasn't thrilled with either. The puree definitely made a better beer, but the yeast (us-05) completely chomped up the mango, and I had to tell my tasters that there was mango in the beer.
The extract was offensively artificial, by the time I used enough to get the flavor I was shooting for. (Somewhere around 3ml/5gal, silver cloud estates) The extract does not provide sweetness, which made the flavor unbalanced.
Sweetness was lacking with both methods, so I recommend perfecting a sweet beer before trying to get the mango flavor, if that's what you're shooting for.
I gave up on the idea, but if I were to try again, I'd mash higher (not a good idea for an IPA,) use a low attenuation yeast, use a ridiculous amount of purree, and a tiny amount of extract.
To really get fresh mango flavor, I would add mango juice to the beer at serving. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's a hell of a lot easier and more direct.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.. for sure not adding juice.. not really looking into a powerful mango flavor just a tad so im thinking about freezing them then mashing them and dumping then in a muslin bag inside my fastferment

Back