How to use hydrometer with no theif?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmj

Reaction score
This will be my very first time brewing anything, and so to get started I bought this kit:

Deluxe Brewer's Best® Equipment Kit:
  • 6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Primary Fermenter with Grommeted Lid
  • 6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Bottling Bucket with Spigot
  • 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
  • Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
  • Twin Lever Capper
  • Triple Scale Hydrometer
  • Siphon Hose and Shut-Off Clamp
  • Driilled Universal Carboy Bung
  • Liquid Crystal Thermometer
  • Lab Thermometer
  • Brew Paddle
  • Airlock
  • Fermtech Auto Siphon
  • Bottle Filler
  • Bottle Brush
  • Carboy Brush

After looking everything over I am left wondering what I am supposed to put the hydrometer in to take a reading. None of my glasses or pitchers are tall enough for this hydrometer, and the kit doesn't come with any kind of beaker. I could drop the hydrometer into the fermenter after sanitizing it yet somehow that doesn't seem like a good idea...

What should I use to drop the hydrometer in for a measurement?

Never mind how I'm supposed to get the cider out of the fermenter for the reading. I guess the auto siphon?

I use a turkey baster (sanatized) to collect the beer from a fermenter, and use the plastic tube the hydrometer came in as the testing tube. Then I drink the sample :D

One thing you have to watch out for is the plastic cap doesn't shoot out when you drop the hydrometer in. I lost my first hydrometer from from that!

What should I use to drop the hydrometer in for a measurement?

I went out and bought one of these today because the base of the measuring tube for my existing hydrometer is a bit wonky and the whole thing tilts so accurate readings were a bit difficult to get. the 200ml sized graduated cylinder is the right size for my hydrometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a turkey baster (sanatized) to collect the beer from a fermenter, and use the plastic tube the hydrometer came in as the testing tube. Then i drink the sample :d

one thing you have to watch out for is the plastic cap doesn't shoot out when you drop the hydrometer in. I lost my first hydrometer from from that!

+1

I sanitize a measuring cup (around 2/3 cup) and use that to dip out my sample. On a previous batch of mine, i put hot wort into the hydrometer storage tube and melted it (oops) so I recently bought this from AHS: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_67_64&products_id=1001
Basically a non-graduated cylinder.

I got one of these recently from my lhbs after my hydrometer tube broke. Works great and is inexpensive. I extrsct my samples with a turkey baster

Other than keeping the lid off the fermenter longer, what's the difference between dipping a sanitized cup, or a sanitizedd baster or even a thief and dropping the hydrometer in for a few seconds? Plus it seems to me that hydrometers live gentle lives (i.e. no scratches) and have nice smooth sealed surfaces that sanitize well.
That said, I rarely take SG readings unless siphoning, at which point I just fill my cylinder to the 12-ounce line I've drawn on it. Careful with drinking the samples...too much active yeast can cause painful and unpleasant "issues" later!

I'd say there's a higher chance of contamination with just dropping the hydrometer into the primary. For one, you could only hold the end inch or so and if it bobs into the wort, you've basically stuck your finger in there. You may have to get your face close to the wort in order to get a reading, so you also risk dropping hair or saliva particles in. If there are air bubbles on the hydrometer, you'd never know because you can't see the bottom of the hydrometer, so you may also get false readings.
I too rarely take hydro samples. I take one before pitching the yeast, then one 4 weeks after it's been in the primary. I think this reduces contamination and increases your total beer production :)

I tried taking the reading from the tube its packaged in. It works, but it sure would be nice if they included a graduated cylinder with the kit, or at least had one of the cap ends on the tube be flanged out so it can act as a stand.

I was advised to glue it to an old CD by my LHBS owner. Found something that worked just about as well, but either way, you should be able to figure something out.

I'd say there's a higher chance of contamination with just dropping the hydrometer into the primary. For one, you could only hold the end inch or so and if it bobs into the wort, you've basically stuck your finger in there. You may have to get your face close to the wort in order to get a reading, so you also risk dropping hair or saliva particles in. If there are air bubbles on the hydrometer, you'd never know because you can't see the bottom of the hydrometer, so you may also get false readings.
I too rarely take hydro samples. I take one before pitching the yeast, then one 4 weeks after it's been in the primary. I think this reduces contamination and increases your total beer production :)

Would this be Homo Sapiens Drool Ale? :drunk:

Would it be crazy to just leave the hydrometer floating in my glass carboy attached to some fishing line (sanitized obviously) and watch the reading drop throughout its fermentation?

Kind of crazy. But try it just make sure its tied tight enough not to slip off. If you don't I might now that you gave me the idea.

I got a cheap plastic graduated cylinder from my lhbs ($2). I use my autosiphon to fill to a fill line that I marked on it (where if floats decently).

Back