how to use cocoa beans in stout brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey all im making a chocolate stout and i decided i want to try using cocoa beans this time. Now has anybody ever used cocoa bean in there brew before?
if so can someone answer these questions for me

1) how many ounces woudl be good to use for a 5.5gallon batch?

2) shoudl i use it durring boil or secondary or both?
2a) if durring both how many ounce in boil and how many in 2ndary?
2b) how long shoudl i let them boil for? and how long shoudl they sit in 2ndary?

im working on trying to make something close to samual smiths organic chocolate stout.

Good luck trying to copy that beer. Cocoa nibs aren't going to get you there...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have made the Mocha Stout from the True Brews by Emma Christensen. This was a one gallon recipe and it called for 2 ounces of coarsely ground cocoa nibs. These were added at 1 minute.

None of the cocoa made it to my fermenter as I use a paint stainer bag when I pour my chilled wort into the fermenter.

I've never had a Samual Smiths so I don't know how it compares but this should give you one example of using cocoa nibs.

Good luck trying to copy that beer. Cocoa nibs aren't going to get you there...

I used cocoa and chocolate in the boil and nibs in secondary with a ton of lactose in the boil as well and while the beer is very good it's nowhere near SS's chocolate stout. 100% agree with rocket - nibs will not get you to that beer.

8 ozs of cocoa at boil, cocoa nibs in secondary and cocoa nib extract didn't get me there. A half shot of Creme de cacao in that very stout got me damned close but to use it as priming syrup will rob it of the sugar so I'm thinking only those who kill the yeast and carb in a keg could get close to Sam Smith's...

ive been brewing for a few years and i know using nibs is not going to turn my beer into samual smiths chocolate stout by its self. This is my 2nd brew of making a chocolate stout and this time im altering the recipe to try and get it a little closer and one of the changes im going to be adding cocoa nibs. I never used nibs before so wanted to get some input on how to use them.. cause i dont want to use to much or let it sit too long in a secondary were it could make my beer to bitter.

im was going to be ordering 8oz of nibs ..figured 4oz for boil.. and 4oz at secondary for a 5.5 gallon batch

I lightly roasted mine in the oven and put 4oz per 5g in secondary. Seemed about right.

I soak mine in vodka for twelve weeks to make an extract

Back