How to use an Electric Fermentation Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavyRob

Reaction score
So, I bought an Electric Fermentation Heater like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ure-control/electric-fermentation-heater.html

I'm trying to figure out how to use it in my garage in conjunction with my fermentation fridge. In the summer, I just use the temp controller on the fridge, since it is hotter than fermentation temp in the garage. Now that it is winter, I need to actually keep the beer warmer while it ferments. Do I just turn the heater on, and still keep the fridge temp controller set? Will this keep the beer at the temp I want, or will the heater make the beer warmer than what the fridge is set to? Where should I put the temp probe for the fridge controller? I normally put it right on the side of the carboy, but now the heater will be there, throwing on the measurement.

Thanks!

I have a Johnson Controls Digital controller (the blue one, not the grey one). Don't think it does heat, but I could be wrong. I'll check out that thermowell.

Thanks!

So I figured it out. The controller also does heating, but you have to open the control box and change a jumper on the circuit board (glad I saved the manual!). So, since the garage is 35 degrees, I don't need to have the fridge on. I connected the heater to the controller, and put the controller's probe on the side of the carboy under bubble wrap. My lager is fermenting like a champ at 52 degrees!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424114866.935554.jpg

Back