how to tell when fruit is done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I brewed the Bell's May Ale and it called for 2 pounds of blue berries. After 2 weeks of fermentation I add frozen blue berries to my secondary and racked on top of them. They are all now floating and I would like to know how to tell when to bottle.

Take a gravity reading today and then in about 2-3 days if it has not moved then it is safe to bottle. Also take a sip of your sample. Does it have the blueberry character you want? if so and fermentation is done the bottle.

Is it normal for the blue berries to float at the suface of the carboy though? I was told because I froze them I did not need to puree them or anything else.

From what I've been reading on adding fruit you get the most flavor/aroma from crushing or adding a puree but it is not necessary. I wouldn't worry about them floating either.

The berries float because the yeast convert the sugars in them to ethanol and co2 the has gets trapped in the fruit and it then floats.

Latest posts

Back