How to tell if bottle conditioning is actually carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishguy42

Reaction score
Hello all!

So, my first brew is currently bottle conditioning and carbing away (hopefully). Has been a few days.

I was just wondering if there were any tell-tale signs to look for while conditioning. I know that in fermentation, it was easy to tell the progress based on gravity readings.

However, I'm not 100% sure what signs I'm looking for in bottle conditioning to tell if it's "done" or not. Is it a process in which there is no real end point?

I had put my brew into 12oz bottles and two 2L soda bottles. I decided to slowly twist open one of the soda bottles, and it gave a satisfying fizz, so I quickly closed it tight again.

I imagine that's what I'm looking for? How do I know if it's going to take two weeks or so? Might it take less time?

I would just do as you did. Use a plastic bottle for one of them. When it feels firm like a bottle of soda it is most likely done. Chill for 24hrs then try it. If it's not carbed as much as you'd like give it a little longer.

Just squeeze the soda bottles -- don't open. When they feel like the unopened ones from the store, you've got carbonation. There is an end point. Sugar is eaten, yeast are dormant, and beer is perfectly carbonated. Or, all done, and beer is flat. Or, bottle explosion.

Best to wait at least 2 weeks. Brew some more.

I usually bottle 2-3, 12oz bottles as testers, the rest in 22's

After 7-10 days I'll chill first one to test

I also make a couple test bottles. Sometimes you can see a tiny bit of
Krausen in the neck of the bottle, perhaps a bit of cloudiness depending on the yeast.

I usually bottle 2-3, 12oz bottles as testers, the rest in 22's

After 7-10 days I'll chill first one to test

I also make a couple test bottles. Sometimes you can see a tiny bit of
Krausen in the neck of the bottle, perhaps a bit of cloudiness depending on the yeast.

Yeah, I figured I'd use the soda bottles as testers. I also have a few 12oz bottles that aren't part of a full case of 24, so I could use those as testers as well.

I think I will chill one of the soda bottles in a few days, as they have only been conditioning for ~6 days right now.

You can shake the bottles and see the CO2 coming out of the liquid, basically foamy bubbles in the neck. Keep in mind It's not even close to a perfect science. It doesn't really tell you anything except that it's carbonating. Generally I wait 10 days before I think about chilling one to try.

I usually just wait 10 days, pull one off, put it in the fridge and test it. If it's good, then life is easy. If it's not carbed up yet, I wait another week. Depending upon the type (IPA's often carb quicker than stouts for instance), it may take a few extra weeks. One beer wasted isn't bad. And to be honest, I just drink a flat one. Gives me a feel for what it's going to taste like.

Yeah, I figured I'd use the soda bottles as testers. I also have a few 12oz bottles that aren't part of a full case of 24, so I could use those as testers as well.

I think I will chill one of the soda bottles in a few days, as they have only been conditioning for ~6 days right now.

Unless it was a high gravity beer, or you've kept the room a little too cool it is probably mostly done, just remember it will be best with more time. Time for the yeast to clean up after themselves, and whatever else makes it taste like good beer happens for me at 3 weeks. Patience is an important ingredient in brewing, and we have all waited like expecting parents or a kid waiting for a party. :ban:

Unless it was a high gravity beer, or you've kept the room a little too cool it is probably mostly done, just remember it will be best with more time. Time for the yeast to clean up after themselves, and whatever else makes it taste like good beer happens for me at 3 weeks. Patience is an important ingredient in brewing, and we have all waited like expecting parents or a kid waiting for a party. :ban:

It's a cream ale at a FG of 1.002, so it's probably close to done.

That being said, I'm in no rush. So I can probably through a tester bottle or even one of the 2L bottles in the fridge in a day or two and see how it is.

When you bottle it, put up a couple of 1L soda bottles, like seltzer or tonic water comes in (not water bottles). You can monitor how your beer is clearing and carbing by examining and squeezing the plastic bottles.

When you bottle it, put up a couple of 1L soda bottles, like seltzer or tonic water comes in (not water bottles). You can monitor how your beer is clearing and carbing by examining and squeezing the plastic bottles.

Yeah I have two 2L bottles filled.

I actually just checked right now and they're pretty firm already. I can squeeze it a little, but not much. I might toss a 12oz bottle in the fridge tomorrow and test it on Saturday! :D

I used to bottle one 1L p!astic bottle as a test bottle. But now I just trust the yeast. Give them 2 weeks at 70F+ and they'll carb. Three weeks is better. Only once in ~100 brews have I had one that wouldn't carb and that was an 11.5% Belgian that the yeast crapped out on (a little champagne yeast fixed it).

Yeast are wise. Trust the yeast.

Also keep in mind that when carbing, the pressure actually goes from low to high back down to medium. As you are squeezing the soda bottle, it it's at it's most pressure, your beer is not fully carbed yet. As the pressure goes back down the co2 pressure absorbs into the beer to carbonate it.

I don't believe this to be true but I'd love to know where you got the idea.

I'll have to look where i read that at, but it said the most pressure your bottle has is when the sugar is fermented but not absorbed into the beer yet

Also keep in mind that when carbing, the pressure actually goes from low to high back down to medium. As you are squeezing the soda bottle, it it's at it's most pressure, your beer is not fully carbed yet. As the pressure goes back down the co2 pressure absorbs into the beer to carbonate it.

I also don't believe this. CO2 is formed a molecule at a time in solution; it doesn't start out as a gas. Net CO2 will only come out of solution when the CO2 partial pressure in the headspace is less than the equilibrium CO2 partial for the current carb level and temp. Likewise net CO2 will not go into solution from the headspace unless the CO2 partial pressure in the headspace is higher than the equilibrium partial pressure.

During carbonation at a constant temperature, the headspace CO2 partial pressure will be somewhat below the equilibrium partial pressure, as it takes time for the CO2 to diffuse out of the beer. However, the headspace pressure will never exceed the equilibrium partial pressure.

Once carbonation is complete, and you chill the beer, the headspace CO2 partial pressure will be greater than the equilibrium pressure, since the equilibrium pressure is lower at lower temperatures. The beer will then reabsorb enough CO2 from the headspace to bring the carb level and headspace partial pressure back into equilibrium.

Brew on :mug:

I'll have to look where i read that at, but it said the most pressure your bottle has is when the sugar is fermented but not absorbed into the beer yet

A proper way to say it is that the most pressure your bottle has is at the highest temperature the bottle sees after carbonation is complete. Reabsorption of CO2 only occurs on cooling, as described in my previous post.

A proper way to say it is that the most pressure your bottle has is at the highest temperature the bottle sees after carbonation is complete. Reabsorption of CO2 only occurs on cooling, as described in my previous post.

Well I found my source....realized I misread it...my bad

I usually do 2-4, 8oz Coke bottles as test bottles. I'll open 1 after a week. Then the 2nd a week later. Just for testing purposes. That way I don't lose any full size bottles.

Latest posts

Back