How to take Home Brew Fishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
It's that time of year again. Time to hit the rivers in the trusty canoe and slay the small mouth. Last weekend I was in that very situation, enjoying a beautiful day on the river and drinking Budweiser. :( That's almost enough to ruin it (but not quite).

Has anyone ever found a good way to take their home brew floating? In Missouri glass on the river is illegal, and they ticket for it. Not that I would want to take it anyway. But the main problem is after a few hours of floating the beer is shaken up and all the anti-yummies of unfiltered beer are floating around.

I'm sure on a forum like this we can find a better solution than buying Heineken in the can.

don't they make plastic bottles with screw caps for homebrewing? i saw somewhere that they do. i just don't know where to find them again.

OK - my favourite two topics: homebrew and fishing! :)

In Alberta (and most of Canada, I think), it is illegal to bring alcoholic beverages (in any type of container) on the water. This year, I'll be bottling my porters and stouts from the keg into empty Coke or Pepsi plastic bottles! Camouflage!

Some people here have built some really sweet travel kegerators (if you already keg). You can buy a device to hook up small CO2 canisters (like the size for paintball to dispense). You'd probably want to drop some coin on a small keg (which are much more expensive than regular ones). I'm pretty sure Dude's built one, you might peruse his gallery if he's uploaded some pics.

Just to wet your lips a little. Wouldn't this be a good place for a brew?

4284-IMG_0019.jpg

4284-IMG_0017.jpg

I exclusively use 500ML PET bottles for my beer. They're cheap and pretty much indestructible. I don't take my beer out with me as I walk the rivers rather than boating but they sure hit the spot when I get home!
Trout season opens tomorrow!! :ban:

What about a party pig? I think they run around $40, and they hold either one or two gallons (can't remember exactly). Seems like a good amount of beer for you and a buddy or two out on the water for a day, and they're small enough to fit inside a medium-small cooler.

bradsul said:
I exclusively use 500ML PET bottles for my beer. They're cheap and pretty much indestructible. I don't take my beer out with me as I walk the rivers rather than boating but they sure hit the spot when I get home!
Trout season opens tomorrow!! :ban:

Here's another nice spot to fish. We camp right along one of my favourite trout streams, and can drop a keg right in the river to keep it cold!

7346-Castle.jpg

Trout season opens tomorrow! Lucky guy. Guess you won't see this today, then!

FlyGuy said:
OK - my favourite two topics: homebrew and fishing! :)

In Alberta (and most of Canada, I think), it is illegal to bring alcoholic beverages (in any type of container) on the water. This year, I'll be bottling my porters and stouts from the keg into empty Coke or Pepsi plastic bottles! Camouflage!

WHAT??!!! You mean that you cannot have ANY beer on your boat in Canada??!!!

jcarson83 said:
Just to wet your lips a little. Wouldn't this be a good place for a brew?

4284-IMG_0019.jpg

4284-IMG_0017.jpg

Looks like an Ozark stream to me. I've floated/fished a lot of those in NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas, but have never made it to MO. I'll have to get up there sometime.

I sure like the Buffalo, Kings, Lee, LIttle Lee, Mulberry and all those rivers in the area.

Do you catch alot of goggle eye up there? Are you a MO native? I fish with one and he pulls the egg sacks out of all the pregnant fish and batters and deep fries them. He tells me it's a MO thing.

If you are not kegging you could just buy the carbanatior cap and the CO2 injector that uses cartridges. This way you could bring 2 or 3 litter plastic bottles with you. This works great.

Well we weren't on the water this time and it helped the water stayed about 34 degrees...

Drained that keg in about 36 hours. Only 2 of us drinking out of it and the occasional BMC drinker trying a swig and then one of us two finishing the cup. It was a pale ale lol.

This is what happens when the weather is warmer and a full keg of BMC is involved.

Same spot last year. :)

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Looks like an Ozark stream to me. I've floated/fished a lot of those in NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas, but have never made it to MO. I'll have to get up there sometime.

I sure like the Buffalo, Kings, Lee, LIttle Lee, Mulberry and all those rivers in the area.

Do you catch alot of goggle eye up there? Are you a MO native? I fish with one and he pulls the egg sacks out of all the pregnant fish and batters and deep fries them. He tells me it's a MO thing.

I don't know about that being a Missouri thing. I'm a MO ntive and never heard of it and doesn't sound very good. When I catch a fish thats spawning I always release it.

I've floated a few of those, mainly the Buff. The Mulberry is a good one but only floatably a few months of the year. Jacks Fork, the one in the pictures, is very similar to the Buff just not as many people.

Yep, lots of smallies and goggle eye.

SWMBO is a Diet Coke nut. I get about 2 2-liters and a few 20 oz per week. Just rinse 'em out as soon as you can and they seem good to go. I occasionally need to soak with a 1/2t or so of baking soda for odor elimination. Caps aren't as cheap, and you could leave the labels on for camoflague.

I stockpiled all winter because SWMBOs' brother won't allow glass at his pool. 25 bottles of dark lager ready and waiting, and 5 gallons of pale ale in primary now...

I can't believe no one said this: : "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat all day and drink homebrew"

OK, I went and looked at the Beer Belly, pretty funny.

Then, I said, "Ooo, winerack, I wonder what THAT is?"

**** ain't right!!!

Does it work just like a 2L of soda where as soon as you open it it starts to lose carbonation? Sounds like the best solution yet. I guess with the forced carbonation I won't get much settling. A little expensive though at $15 a cap. A couple of 2L should work fine for a weekend float (supplemented with a something a little stronger of course).

jcarson83 said:
Does it work just like a 2L of soda where as soon as you open it it starts to lose carbonation? Sounds like the best solution yet. I guess with the forced carbonation I won't get much settling. A little expensive though at $15 a cap. A couple of 2L should work fine for a weekend float (supplemented with a something a little stronger of course).

No, actually they are worth the money. You can force carb any liquid with the carbonator cap. juices, water, milk (gross)

example.....I bottled up 4 gallons worth of my beer........and filled two 2 liters up with uncarbed beer. screw on the caps, connect to gas and shake. this works best when they are cold first though.

I had force carbed beer to take to my friends house within 5 minutes. This was fricken great.

I attach a plastic hose from the faucet of my kegerator. I fill the two liters up to take to beer meetings, or to the movies. since it is already carbonated coming from the keg, all you have to do is drop 20lbs to pressurize, and viola. it stays carbonated till you crack the top and drink it.

If you only drink half, and it gets shaken up, and you lose carbonation. put your cap back on, hook up pressure, and shake.

I love my carbonator caps.

Latest posts

Back