how to stop those preview windows on forums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattCharleston

Reaction score
First, my apologies if this topic has previously been laid to rest....but how do you stop those little windows that show the forum contents from showing up when you hover over a topic in the forum? These things piss me off and i can't figure out what setting disables them.

Hi Matt. I have no idea. But, there is a subforum for questions like this and you might get a faster response there - homebrewtalk announcements and feedback (got a problem or suggestion for the website).

Also, the preview windows looks small on my browser (I use chrome) - I'm surprised that someone would find them annoying. You might also pm a moderator or the site administrator if it really bothers you.

Proposed Solution: Don't hover the mouse over the title.

Ok done being a smart ass. On mine there is a slight lag time between when the mouse hovers and when the pop up comes up, so if I am paying attention I can read the title first...but it pissed me off when the thing pops up when I am still reading.

I guess I have just subconsiously started holding the mouse where it isn't on the titles when I browse. That way I can target the thread of interest and the little pop up is helpful

I like the preview window. I just keep the cursor out of the "Thread/Thread Starter" column. Keep it over in one of the columns to the right unless you want to see the preview, then you can move the cursor left and see the preview. In fact, I find myself trying to get previews on other forums that don't have that feature and get frustrated when the preview doesn't appear. :)

If you are using FireFox do this:

1) type about:config and when prompted promise to be careful
2) scroll down to "browser.chrome.toolbar_tips" and change the setting to disabled
3) close config tab and enjoy

If you use another browser google "disable tooltips [name of browser]"

If you are using FireFox do this:

1) type about:config and when prompted promise to be careful
2) scroll down to "browser.chrome.toolbar_tips" and change the setting to disabled
3) close config tab and enjoy

If you use another browser google "disable tooltips [name of browser]"

Beat me to it. I happen to think tooltips are awesome.

I don't mind them here, but there's one science site I cruise that has incredibly lame pop-ups, like when you mouse over "water". I have to be very careful on that site or I get pissed off.

I do like the pop ups, mostly, for they give me a "preview" of the actual topic of the thread. I do agree that they can be annoying sometimes, however. To avoid having the pop ups, uh, pop up - I put my cursor at the extreme left of the screen and use the scroll wheel on the mouse.

+1 on lovin the pop up window. I don't like it for every site with this feature, but here it works very well. I don't know how many times I've caught myself trying to preview my email by hovering.

Back