How to stop teenagers begging for beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it not true that they used to give ladies Milk stout when they were pregnant? I think my mom told me that's what she used to get with the admonishment to 'drink it up, its good for you'. Saying that they used to also tell me that if I ate my bread crusts it would put hairs on my chest.

I'm gonna whip out my old lady curmudgeon card, and in the words of Nancy Reagan, advise "Just Say No". Despite my advanced years (gonna hit the big five oh this Friday) I do remember being a teenager hell bent on mischief...I've also been a bartender for 22+ years and I say, tell the little darlings No unless they are willing to help brew it or do some odd jobs around your home brewery to earn it. I will NOT go into my rant about Millenials who think the world owes them everything...I WON'T. Promise. Little sh8ts. End of partial rant. Get offa my lawn!!!

We can talk about the law in the area we live, but keep in mind that this forum is based in Texas, USA. So any real discussion of encouraging minors to imbibe aside from the type of discussion we are currently having will not be allowed. Thanks!

Interestingly enough, Cloudflare has no data centers in Texas. So if we're going to be really accurate...

In all honesty I think I would give them beer with parental permission and inform the parents. this keeps you out of BS and gives the kids a chance to learn. If they are so inclined. But if I had a poor quality beer that would be what they would primarily be drinking.:mug:

If you don't mind them drinking, just let them brew some and 'earn' it this way. Though if they are under age and not all of them are your own kids then better just let them understand they won't get any beer from you. Though if you'd like to use free labour force it's probably the best opportunity :D

Why should I surrender my finest Vienna lager or beloved Kolsch to such ingrates? Gargling the stuff down like ravenous pirates. I ask them did they enjoy the beer and they state, 'Yeah Mr. Robbie, it was bangin!' That's teenager for 'yes it was very tasty. Got any more?'

This is hilarious! Ravenous pirates, that's pretty spot-on.

The feds could certainly find a interstate tie to pot production here in CO, fertilizer from out of state used to made the dankest weed, or something else along those lines. A bigger issue though is paying for it, which often times feds will let the states have jurisdiction bc its just not worth it.

Actually, they don't even need to investigate fertilizer / etc. See Wickard v. Filburn from 1942.

The case revolved around a farmer growing crops on his own land for his own family's consumption. The Supreme Court ruled that was interstate commerce because if he didn't grow his own wheat, he might buy wheat in interstate commerce, and therefore his activity affected interstate commerce.

This was extended specifically to marijuana in Gonzales v Raich in 2005. It stated that even an *illegal* good like marijuana is considered interstate commerce, although that commerce shouldn't <according to the federal gov't> exist. So even growing your own pot for your own [medical] use is subject to federal regulation based on the idea that there is an interstate illicit market.

So yeah, if the feds want to prosecute, they're pretty much going to get away with it, due to the supremacy clause. It doesn't matter AT ALL to the feds that the state declared it to be legal.

Actually, they don't even need to investigate fertilizer / etc. See Wickard v. Filburn from 1942.

The case revolved around a farmer growing crops on his own land for his own family's consumption. The Supreme Court ruled that was interstate commerce because if he didn't grow his own wheat, he might buy wheat in interstate commerce, and therefore his activity affected interstate commerce.

This was extended specifically to marijuana in Gonzales v Raich in 2005. It stated that even an *illegal* good like marijuana is considered interstate commerce, although that commerce shouldn't <according to the federal gov't> exist. So even growing your own pot for your own [medical] use is subject to federal regulation based on the idea that there is an interstate illicit market.

So yeah, if the feds want to prosecute, they're pretty much going to get away with it, due to the supremacy clause. It doesn't matter AT ALL to the feds that the state declared it to be legal.

That is fascinating. If I understand the link correctly the SCOTUS is basically saying, ok the amount of wheat that you grew in excess of the quota was measly and the purpose that you grew it for was local, however the point is that if everyone did it then the accumulative effect would be substantial and as a direct consequence it must come under the jurisdiction of the commerce clause. I suspect that the unfortunate farmer set a precedent that they felt had to be nailed down.

It gets hot and the first thing I know is that the teenage son and his scurrilous friends are begging me for beers.
Be thankful they are not out doing crack and/or heroin. Young people are dying over here by the thousands, overdosing on drugs. The open borders and free trade crowd don't want to look at the downside of those policies, but numbers don't lie. Plain old alcohol consumption seems pretty tame these days.
Tell them if they want some beer they have to help you brew some. Let them pick out a style they like and then you buy all the ingredients for a 20L batch. When its gone, the ingredients for the next batch will be paid for by them or they can work for the beer, cutting the grass, washing your windows
or whatever chores they can do. No money or no work=no more beer.
They may be up for it or they might not. Either way have a good time and try to impart some old guy wisdom on them: Stay away from lawyers, judges, hard liquor , hard drugs. Find a girl that treats them good and treat her like a gift from god. Don't believe anything in the news or out of a politicians mouth, and all that glitters is not gold. :mug:

Yeah we heard that there was some kind of opiate abuse problem. Its tragic for everyone, parents and kids, that stuff destroys lives. A glass of home-brew by comparison is healthy, full of natural goodness, uplifting and energy giving. The Government should mandate the labelling of home-brew as a health drink! God damn the pusher man!

That is fascinating. If I understand the link correctly the SCOTUS is basically saying, ok the amount of wheat that you grew in excess of the quota was measly and the purpose that you grew it for was local, however the point is that if everyone did it then the accumulative effect would be substantial and as a direct consequence it must come under the jurisdiction of the commerce clause. I suspect that the unfortunate farmer set a precedent that they felt had to be nailed down.

I'm not going to go into great detail, as that's better suited for the debate board. But effectively, this Supreme Court decision basically said that it was kosher for Congress to regulate effectively anything it wanted to, because any economic activity "affects interstate commerce."

In the US there had long been a division of power between states and the federal government, with the states largely fighting to retain a lot of regulatory control, and the federal government (Congress) largely relegated to making sure states weren't interfering with commerce--much like the EU broke down many economic restraints when it comes to commerce crossing borders within Europe.

But Congress likes power, and FDR's New Deal regulations involved such sweeping regulations beyond the scope of what Congress had done in the past. Had the Court found in favor of the farmer rather than the regulators, it would have significantly limited Congress' power to regulate.

This is one among many historic changes moving powers once retained at the state level to the federal government in the US.

Interestingly (and on topic for this forum), the 21st Amendment--repealing Prohibition--is written and interpreted by the Courts in such a way as it leaves enormous power over alcohol in the hands of the states. This is one reason you'll hear many of us here talk about the "three-tier system", or why just a few short years ago we were excited that Alabama had finally legalized homebrewing. States have widely different alcohol laws, largely because the 21st Amendment said "alcohol is hereby legal, but individual states can make it illegal if they want to." This largely made it almost impossible for the Feds to use Commerce Clause rationale as it relates to most matters related to alcohol...

Back in my day it was Animal Beer (aka Schmidt's)...which was actually pretty tasty compared to Natty Ice or the other monstrosities out these days. We couldn't afford Rainer or Oly (god I miss that beer) so had to get the cheapest. I still love me a good Rainier on tap now and again even though it's not quite the same.

I'm gonna whip out my old lady curmudgeon card, and in the words of Nancy Reagan, advise "Just Say No". Despite my advanced years (gonna hit the big five oh this Friday) I do remember being a teenager hell bent on mischief...I've also been a bartender for 22+ years and I say, tell the little darlings No unless they are willing to help brew it or do some odd jobs around your home brewery to earn it. I will NOT go into my rant about Millenials who think the world owes them everything...I WON'T. Promise. Little sh8ts. End of partial rant. Get offa my lawn!!!

50 is not advanced years. Just old enough to no longer make a fool or yourself very often and hitting your stride in life....with the occasional limp

It gets hot and the first thing I know is that the teenage son and his scurrilous friends are begging me for beers. Normally they drink macro bilge water and have little concept of styles or nuances despite many attempts to educate and inculcate in them appreciation for these finer details.

Why should I surrender my finest Vienna lager or beloved Kolsch to such ingrates? Gargling the stuff down like ravenous pirates. I ask them did they enjoy the beer and they state, 'Yeah Mr. Robbie, it was bangin!' That's teenager for 'yes it was very tasty. Got any more?'

Sigh we like to be appreciated and there is of course a certain satisfaction in our family and friends enjoying some wholesome homebrew and if we can reach out to the next generation of homebrewers what an awesome thing that would be :rockin:

Haha yolo!

Just give them some and make more. Yooper was right, most of us here dont really have this problem, I am sure many americans give their kid a glass of wine or sip, whatever here and there but I think most would never go much more than that. Mind you i am sure our teens drink heavily when parents arent looking, and surely there is great debate to all of this worthy of a new thread. Keeping that in mind, in your situation i would give them the beer thinking i am teaching them about quality and moderatation. You would probably miss the little pirates if they weren't around.

I thought those kids all preferred Buckfast ;)

I don't know how anyone can drink that stuff. Its like alcoholic strawberry jam laced with copious amounts of caffeine and sugar. It has a cult following, how else are we to explain the phenomena?

Haha yolo!

Just give them some and make more. Yooper was right, most of us here dont really have this problem, I am sure many americans give their kid a glass of wine or sip, whatever here and there but I think most would never go much more than that. Mind you i am sure our teens drink heavily when parents arent looking, and surely there is great debate to all of this worthy of a new thread. Keeping that in mind, in your situation i would give them the beer thinking i am teaching them about quality and moderatation. You would probably miss the little pirates if they weren't around.

Yes so true. Like some have already stated the idea is to attempt to inculcate in them socially responsible drinking and the idea that moderation is a healthy thing. The problem is that in many instances they simply look to their peers who are equally also rather inexperienced. When we were kids our dad used to give us shandy, a very small amount of beer (usually stout) and mix it with lemonade. It was awesome and I still like a glass of 'shandy' now and again. None of us became what I would describe as 'heavy drinkers'.

btw you guys having something in the States and Canada that I don't think we have here in the UK at least not to my knowledge. Its called Malt liquor and comes in like a huge glass bottle. If we had stuff like that it would create havoc.

btw you guys having something in the States and Canada that I don't think we have here in the UK at least not to my knowledge. Its called Malt liquor and comes in like a huge glass bottle. If we had stuff like that it would create havoc.

Malt liquor is pretty much intended to get you drunk. There are some other beers that come in the "40 dog" bottle (40 ounces), but mostly it's cheap malt liquor sold at gas stations and convenience stores. Sadly, you see more of it in poor neighborhoods, and it does create havoc.

\

True. When I go to a tavern, it's completely legal for the owner's 10 year old to serve my 10 year old, as long as the parents give permission. (We primarily are in Wisconsin for outings).

But you'd also have to contend with child labor laws in that situation, too!

Malt liquor is pretty much intended to get you drunk. There are some other beers that come in the "40 dog" bottle (40 ounces), but mostly it's cheap malt liquor sold at gas stations and convenience stores. Sadly, you see more of it in poor neighborhoods, and it does create havoc.

I see, its not really brewed for the taste. We don't have any kind of equivalent I don't think, maybe a 2 litre bottle of cider (hard cider I think you guys call it) . Probably contains not a single apple.

I don't think it's an issue for most of us- in the US it's illegal to provide alcohol to anyone under 21 and adults/parents could get in serious trouble for allowing someone under 21 to drink, and providing the alcohol can sometimes be a felony.

I think in Canada the legal drinking age is 19(?) so that's technically a teenager I guess.

I believer I read "here" some years ago that in most states parents can give THEIR kids alcohol when ever they like as long as it's AT HOME.

I remember when I was 14 years old, I had this school trip to florence. I was worried we can't find a shop that sell us beers or to be caught buying them by teachers, so I bought 20 liters of crappy lager and then transfer them into ten empty mineral water plastic bottles, so no tingling or other suspicious sounds from our bags. We drank it in three days, four of us.

This was just to say that young blokes aren't always supposed to really enjoy finest things. But I think that you have to be proud of your kind heart if you decide to share some of your great homebrewer with those wilds ;)

Or they could be a good alternative to sink some bad beer. :D just kidding... Maybe.. :D

So the deal is how they drink. I have a 20 year old daughter, in college. Her friends drink with a singular purpose. Get drunk, my beer, on tap, and uncontrolled does not exactlymeet this purpose. Going to town on a NEIPA while playing flip cup or beer pong just gets them drunk too fast, or pounding a thick and rich RIS in the pool in Florida summer is simply nasty in Florida. They prefer Natural Lite. Usually my beer is safe from abuse, unless I brew a golden ale or a Belgian.

We have lived overseas for many years, so we have never been hung up with the American drinking age in our house. Interestingly, my daughter studied in Europe her first year of college. It was in Belgium she fell in love with beer. She knows more about Belgian beer than I do, and I'm a beer geek. She has had the best, at the best. So when I brew one, I have a critic, and she will drink it eagerly. But that is for taste.

My real problem is my friends, I can barely keep up with them. They will drink me out of beer any chance they get. I love em.

As long as these young people are of legal age,

"Want a beer? Mow my lawn."

"Want a beer? Wash my cars."

"Want a beer? Clean my gutters."

"Want a beer? Take this to the Post Office and on your way back, pick up my dry cleaning, stop at the grocery store and get everything on this list, and then stop at Starbucks because SWMBO wants a latte."

I don't know how anyone can drink that stuff. Its like alcoholic strawberry jam laced with copious amounts of caffeine and sugar. It has a cult following, how else are we to explain the phenomena?

On visits to my mother-in-law in Perth, I would see kids sitting around a public park drinking that crap.

I find this thread fascinating. I grew up in a very Protestant part of the us, which means people often just don't talk about things.

I never had much problem with alcohol once I moved out, but a lot of kids do. It's the "forbidden fruit" and all of the sudden you can get all you want?

I think there's something to be said above raising a child with responsible drinking in their life so they know about it. You know, like your half of the world :D:

I do like the idea of making them help brew and/or work for it. :D:

I find this thread fascinating. I grew up in a very Protestant part of the us, which means people often just don't talk about things.

I never had much problem with alcohol once I moved out, but a lot of kids do. It's the "forbidden fruit" and all of the sudden you can get all you want?

I think there's something to be said above raising a child with responsible drinking in their life so they know about it. You know, like your half of the world :D:

I do like the idea of making them help brew and/or work for it. :D:

There is also a very strong Calvinist streak running down the West of Scotland. 'Drinking and dancing is the ruination of Scotland!' as one whisky advertisement satirically expressed it. :)

Maybe we are on to something here. Let's develop a recipe for a corn and rice American adjunct lager that costs less the $0.50 a can retail, tastes like crap, has a sub 5% abv, no mouth feel and is skunky. Then we hire half naked beautiful models and sports figures to sell it in a powerhouse marketing campaign aimed subliminally at under aged kids. The cans will have removable tops so children can play beer pong without pouring it, and every 30 pack comes with a ping pong ball. As a added feature we will have a translucent sky that turns blue when it is ice cold. We just need to Produce millions of gallons, then sell it to InBev or Miller Coors in a bidding war. After that we buy an island.

I propose the beer is called "the Younger the Bitter". Let's get that recipie started, anyone have the grain bill for a 100,000 bbl recipe?

You are saying that in America there is a company that really produce cans with removable top?? Seriously? :confused::confused:

Back