How to Serve Home Brew Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiazga

Reaction score
I have heard that home brewed beer needs to be poured from a bottle to a glass and that you should leave a little beer in the bottle because sediment builds there while carbonating and it has an unpleasant taste.

Is this true? Also is there any way a home brewer can avoid this?

Yes this is true if you bottle condition the beer. You can get around this if you carbonate the beer in a keg, then use a bottle filler to fill each bottle after the keg has been kept cold for a couple weeks.

Watch it, Learn it, Live it!!!!

[youtube]xyXn4UBjQkE[/youtube]

The yeast DON'T give you an unpleasant taste, many of us like the taste. And it's very good for you as well.

Many commercial beers are bottle conditioned as well; Some of Bell's, Rogues, and a lot of Belgian...If you don't learn to do it, you are going to lose out on tasting some amazing beers from around the world.

I actually don't mind the yeast when I am drinking a beer. Although it does change the taste. But look at it this way, it is seldom bad and yeast is one of the best sources of vitamin B and will help with hangovers. :)

But if you are careful when pouring you can leave most of it in the bottle as it packs down nicely when chilled.

The yeast is good for you and if you secondary ferment you could drink right from the bottle, I have, take Revvy's advise...

Some beer styles don't benefit from yeast flavor. With practice, it becomes really easy to keep the majority of the sediment out of your pour.

I put WAY too much work, and money into my beer to hide it in a bottle.

Heck, I'd even bottle in clear glass if it wouldn't skunk.

Be proud of what you've made and pour it into a nice glass.

+1 to Big Kahuna. Part of enjoying good beer is looking at it. If it's hidden away in a brown bottle, I can't see it! I like to look at the excellent "star-bright" clarity I can achieve in an unfiltered beer, so I pour very carefully into a clean glass.

Further, certain beers are best enjoyed in different glassware. I like strong ale or bock, for instance, in a snifter. I like Belgian ales in a tulip glass.

I only drink Yuengling from the bottle. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Even bud commercials tell you to pour it into a glass to release the aromas and flavors more (ha, like bud has those). Beer bottles aren't meant as serving vessels, just storage. All beer should be enjoyed from a glass.

Ditto all above comments.

Bottles are for storing
Glasses are for serving
Pour slowly, leave 1/4" behind = no Sediment
Pour freely, swirl, complete pour = with yeast
Yeast is good for you but it can indeed change the flavor of your beer if thats not what you want

Enjoy

Someone once said ( I might have read it here originally)

"You wouldn't drink wine out of the bottle would you?"

Seems to make sense to me . Of course that doesn't stop me from drinking out from a bottle often enough.

but on topic, I always bottle condition and find a good secondary ferment will help keep minimal sediment in the bottles. Depending on the yeast and how much sugar/dme is used at bottling.

If it really bothers you brew dark beers.

Thanks for all the insight. I bottled my first brew a week ago and to ensure a constant supply of beer (as any college student needs) I'm getting ready to brew a new batch.

Back