How to return a sanke keg that no one will take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So, i was gifted a 15.5g sanke keg without a spear a number of months ago. Finally got around to calling anheuser busch to figure out how to return it to them.
Obviously they said "we would like it back, please". So i asked how to return it to them as we don't have any AB breweries close by, was given the distributors contact information over here.
I contacted them and they said they cannot take the keg without the spear.
I emailed back to AB but haven't heard a thing yet on what to do.

Trying to be the good guy sometimes is rough... but i'm at a loss if AB wont come and get it, but obviously it's theirs. The distributors will not take it due to missing parts (with no fault of my own). A bar obviously wont take it due to the same issues i'm currently having.

Any insight from people on what to do with my current dilemma ?

So, i was gifted a 15.5g sanke keg without a spear a number of months ago. Finally got around to calling anheuser busch to figure out how to return it to them.
Obviously they said "we would like it back, please". So i asked how to return it to them as we don't have any AB breweries close by, was given the distributors contact information over here.

Trying to be the good guy sometimes is rough... but i'm at a loss if AB wont come and get it, but obviously it's theirs. The distributors will not take it due to missing parts (with no fault of my own). A bar obviously wont take it due to the same issues i'm currently having.

• Give it to an Oregonian HBTer
  • Leave it out for recycling pick-up
  • Make it into a smoker
  • Brew beer in it
  • Turn it into a side table
  • Ignore it in your garage/yard
  • Shoot it
  • Wear it as a hat

Not seeing your dilema I'm afraid

• Give it to an Oregonian HBTer
  • Leave it out for recycling pick-up
  • Make it into a smoker
  • Brew beer in it
  • Turn it into a side table
  • Ignore it in your garage/yard
  • Shoot it
  • Wear it as a hat

Not seeing your dilema I'm afraid

Exactly. You made a good-faith effort to return it. Distributor won't take it, AB (apparently) won't come get it. It's yours now. Do as you will. Those are all good suggestions above.

Unless someone is willing to give you a spear, most likely from making a keggle, there isn't an outcome where AB gets the keg back. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will take it off your hands.

Even if someone donates a spear, they still won't take it back. Since the gasket is not there, it'll be labeled a "blown keg", and they won't touch it. I like Gavin's suggestion of shooting it, then wearing it as a hat. Making a keggle or donating it to someone are 2 other options, though...

I applaud your effort! I think most would just make a keggle and call it a day. I know I have in the past, long before I knew of the theft issues. I think you own it at this point. Do what you want with it.

Cheers
Jay

A few ideas:

vw-bug-volkswagen-v8-keg-gas-tank-volksrod-vdubs_28220_xl.jpg

instructables-keg-amp-640x427-c.jpg

6d8ff67b-43c9-4686-b94e-9a32a688b675.jpg

a98181_t72.jpg

b76da865daf693815e854d04e7029034.jpg

f4895354bb639b3fd1c5888de2d02fb6.jpg

nvidia-computer-keg-640x427-c.jpg

You tried. There are plenty of people that would love to have it for a keggle or fermenter (including me!). Since I doubt I can talk you into shipping it across the country, why not put it on Craigslist.

If you don't want it I would be happy to take it off your hands in exchange for some home brew! Im in Corvallis and am often around the McMinnville area.

:mug:

Seems a true good guy would make the long trip to AB, hand deliver the keg to them in whatever location they choose, and give them an extra $100 to get a spear. Otherwise, you're not even trying.

Or, the hat idea is good too.

Sounds like its yours to me as well (disclaimer: not a lawyer), so agree with the above, save the emails showing you tried to return it, and then make yourself a keggle out of it.

I use mine to boil my beer in. Chopped the top off and put a spigot on it. Works great.

Thanks for the ideas!
I already have some keggles (purchased legally from Widmer) and should have the 20g pot down below up and running soon.
Already bought the parts for it, so it'll be a fermenter for the next while... currently put an order in for some steel tubing to weld up for a stand for the fridge that the keg will go into. that way i only have to lift an empty keg in and out... my back wont handle it otherwise LOL

edited_20160326_213302 by Noah Scott, on Flickr

Back