How to remove labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large breweries tend to use labels that are printed on an offset printer; cut, stacked and then applied by machine with glue.

The glue is water based and those labels will come off with plain water and a long soak. If you've ever been to a BBQ, it happens in a cooler full of icy water by the end of the party.

Small breweries tend to use labels that are stickers and are printed short run digitally On-demand. They hold like like a steel weld.

The sicker is a product of 3M engineering and holds like a steel weld. I don't even bother taking them off. I recycle those bottles..

However, if you are so inclined to try, the best method I've found is to use a razor scraper. Then use a scour pad, and hot soapy water.

Orange solvent helps for that last nighmare residue left by the self adhesive labels, I spray it on then rub with a scotch pad. Pad then has enough residue to be used on next bottle.
But overall I'd suggest recycle those ones and spend the time looking for other bottles.

Some craft brews have labels that are glued on with something that is insoluble in water. The paper labels come off it soaking but the adhesive is all there still. I spray the adhesive with Pam or any oil and after an hour the glue comes right off! WD 40 works as well, but what's in that ****? Nothing I want in or on my bottles. Peanut butter works well too!

Latest posts

Back