How to prime this big Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Expedition stout looks to be done at 12% and 1.05. 6 weeks in secondary now. I want to bottle and move on with other "projects" but since the yeast inside stopped not because of lack of food but more likely because of ABV how do I prime it?
The conventional 3/4c corn sugar solution I think will only make it sweet.....and flat.
Should I make up a little starter for it, but then how much of what grav and yeast should I use.
Hmmm....
I guess I could go with a decent strength starter that is active and just check them soon and often at first for signs of over carbonation and sneak presure out of them it there is.

my suggestion would be a champagne yeast such as lavlin ec1118 as it is supposed to be viable to 18% alcohol.
there is an ale yeast out there for high alcohol brews i think is wpl002(someone correct me please if wrong).
i had a similar problem with an 8% scottish ale - the nottingham i brewed with was maxed out and i never got good carbonation

Brewsmith said:
The White Labs high gravity is wlp-099.
I believe that the 099 needs to be stepped up to the ABV and/or sugar level of your brew.
ie - Make a big starter with a 1.04 wort and areate the starter.
When it slows, add 1.06 wort and pump in more O2.
When it slows, add 1.08 wort and pump in more O2.
When you match the SG, (or the ABV) pitch with O2.

I would not want to use the 099 just for priming.
I would want to make another big beer, pitch most of my starter
in the fermentor with my new brew and some (maybe 16 - 20 oz) in my
bottling bucket for priming the RIS.

:mug:

thanks for the correction brewsmith, on the whitelabs number
i just checked my barleywine(10.5%) that i primed almost 3 weeks ago with lavlin
ec1118 and the pet test bottle is very firm,so i think it would work for your stout.
i just re-hydrated 1/2 a pack of the lavlin with 1 teaspoon of yeast energizer at bottling
good luck

Back