How to 'pitch' more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richakn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to home brewing - I tried my first batch this weekend. I just noticed by yeast was a year past it's best before date. Maybe I'll get lucky but I'm guessing it won't activate. Can someone help me with the next steps - I realize I may have to add more yeast but I could use some detailed instructions on exactly how to do this.

I'm making one gallon.

Also, how precise do I need to be on the temp of the room it's stored in? At the moment it's in the basement - I don't know the temperature down there but I'd guess high 50s/low 60s.

Thanks!

Rich

High 50's low 60's as ambient temp for most ales is good. Warm for a lager. You should be good on that front. If it was dry yeast you are probably in good shape too. That stuff is pretty robust and may be still OK. Give it 24 hrs. If no signs of ferment buy another dry pack of yeast and pitch 1/2 into your fermenter. That would be plenty

Sanitize the outside of the yeast pack and the scissors you use to open it and sprinkle it in. Better to rehydrate it but if this is your first brew just keep it simple.

I reckon you could be in good shape though.

Thanks.

So, I put in 'about 1/4 of the yeast package' as per the directions.

It's been fermenting for about a week (9 days) - nothing vigorous, I'll watch for 2/3 mins and it might bubble twice.

It looks pretty flat - still lots of yeast on the bottom.

I bought a gravity reader - how does the reading play into what to do next? (or doesn't it?). This is Amber ale.

The best way of knowing if the yeast is working is through the hydrometer. Even if there is no visible signs of fermenting going on through the airlock, it still could be fermenting. You take a reading at the beginning before you add the yeast, and then every few days until you reach the desired level stated in the instructions. The fact that there is some bubbling is a good sign that the yeast is not completely dead. In the future, I would look into using a yeast starter (adding some DME and water to yeast 12-18hrs before use). There is a ton of information out there about how to do it but it gets the yeast going before you add it to the beer and you will know if the yeast is good or bad.

-Jeff

If you are fermenting in a clear container you can see if fermentation is starting or under way pretty easily.

I'm pretty sure the yeast is done - it looks pretty dead, no more bubbles, lots of white sediment on the bottom.

If i want to add more (I have fresh yeast), how should I do this? How do you rehydrate yeast first?

I have a gallon of beer brewing - is it worth pitching some more yeast? How much?

And thanks Jeff - I've definitely realized I didn't go about this the right way. I think I'll call into my local store and pick up some new equipment and some tips on how to take OG/FG and what it means/how it influences what to do.

Maybe this photo helps....

IMG_1975.jpg

I would say that judging from the thick layer of yeast and trub on the bottom that it is done.
Give it about 2 wks total and then bottle that deliciousness.

So the OG/FG readings from a hydrometer tell you two things, 1) indicates when the beer is done fermenting, and 2) what the alcohol content of the brew is.

Here's how to do, it's extremely simple:

1) When you've finished making the wort (and preferably before you pitch the yeast - although after isn't tragic), take a sample of the wort in a cyclinder - often the tube that the hydrometer comes in will work too. Set the hydrometer into it. Even though it's buoyant, be careful not to drop it in hard - hydrometers are quite fragile. You can leave it sit for a while as quite often there will be foam blocking you from taking a reading. Once the foam clears make a note of where the wort line is on the hydrometer. For example, you might get a reading of 1.052. Make a note of this - it's your original gravity (OG). Do not return the sample to the fermenter - drink it instead or pour it out.

2). When you suspect that your beer is done fermenting and ready to bottle, take another sample into the cylinder and perform another reading exactly as above. This is your final gravity (FG). Again, drink the sample. Wait a few days. Take another sample and do it again. If this reading is the same as the previous FG reading then you can be confident that your beer is done fermenting and is ready to bottle/keg. If the FG reading has dropped a couple of points then this shows that your beer is still fermenting and bottling would be dangerous at this point. Wait a number of days and go through this process again until you get a stable reading. Experienced Brewers will sometimes forego taking multiple FG readings, as we typically are aware of what to expect for a FG reading and seeing it once (or sometimes not at all) we go ahead and bottle when we think it's right. That said, we are also known to be wrong on occasion and be susceptible to exploding bottles. It's highly highly highly recommended that if not always, you do get a lot more experience in brewing before you limit or forego FG readings before bottling. Exploding bottles are no joke and there's more than one story on this forum of people dying from broken glass.

3). To know how much alcohol is in your beer, plug your OG and FG numbers into an online calculator, such as the one below. For example, if your OG is 1.052 and your FG is 1.010 then your beer is 5.5%.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

What's the science behind this?

Briefly - Wort is essentially water and sugar. The sugar comes from the grain. The water, you added yourself. That sugar-water is going to have a certain density, depending on how much sugar is in it. It'll be heavier than np lain water. The OG reading will tell you just how dense with sugar that water is. Then you add yeast and the yeast eat most of that sugar and convert it into alcohol and carbon dioxide. In doing so, they remove the sugars from the wort and change its density, bringing it closer back down to the density of plain water. The yeast will typically east most of the sugars, but not all. Some are 'unfermentable'. When you suspect the beer is done and you take a FG reading, you'll see how much sugar is left in the beer. Assuming you've arrived at a true FG (ie. no more sugar will be eaten by the yeast), then the difference between your OG reading and your FGreading will tell you how much sugar has been converted into alcohol, and hence the alcohol percentage of the beer. Getting a stable FG reading over several days will also tell you that the yeast have finished their work and it's safe to bottle. It would be unsafe to bottle beer that isn't done fermenting because of the CO2 produced during fermentation. If you seal a bottle and yet more co2 is being produced then the pressure inside it will mount and if enough, it will eventually explode. Glass shrapnel can be very dangerous.

Andy - that's an excellent explanation, thank you. Very easy to understand. So if my yeast was old and not very active, it won't have eaten much of the sugar and I'll be left with a sweet, low ABV beer?

I did notice when I added the yeast that a lot of it seemed to remain on the bottom of the carboy, which would probably imply that it wasn't active (maybe just sat there the whole time and didn't get to work?)

Looking at the amount of yeast you have at the bottom, it appears that you had a successful reproduction of yeast cells and fermentation. At temps toward the lower end of a yeast strain's range, the process will be subtle, not vigorous. Most often, subtle gives a cleaner flavor profile.

I'd not even think about tossing any more yeast in there until a gravity reading is taken.

You're welcome.

I'm not an expert on the science behind yeast reproduction, health, activity, etc. But, I will say that yeast are generally very hardy, especially if it was a dry yeast pack as opposed to a liquid yeast vial or 'smack-pack'. The latter two tend to expire much more quickly and lose their viability faster after expiration. Nonetheless, there's many anecdotes on here of Brewers pitching years-old yeast and having succes. From the information you've posted, it seems you've had success. From what I understand, you generally either have success or you don't. Anything in between will only typically impact the flavour of the beer (which isn't to say that that isn't important.

Generally what happens is that when the yeast find food (sugar), they multiply. Barring a few details about oxygen and yeast health, etc, they generally keep multiplying and eating the sugar until they run out. Visually you'll see the krausen ring form around the collar of the fermenter and if you have a glass carbon you'll see sediment forming in the bottom. If you have a good seal on the vessel then your airlock will gurgle. These are all signs that fermentation is well underway and that you should just sit back and let the yeast do their thing. Then when they are done, the yeast will go dormant and it takes a long time for them to die unless you boil them or freeze them. Reintroduce more sugar to the dormant yeast (such as on bottling day) and they wake up and go to work again.

Now it IS possible to get something called a stalled fermentation, where, for reasons generally unknown to me, the yeast will go dormant for a period of time even though there is fermentable sugars available to them. I would guess, but am not sure, that pitching not enough healthy yeast (called under-pitching) may cause stalled fermentation in some cases. Making it even trickier is that sometimes a stalled fermentation is only temporary and just as mysteriously and unpredictably as they went dormant, they wake back up and start eating again. This can be dangerous if you prematurely bottle a stalled beer. One thing I do know that can cause yeast to go dormant is if the temperature of the beer falls below the yeast's desired range. Cold yeast is sleepy yeast. As I'm sure you know by reading these forums, temperature control is probably the most important detail of brewing.

So what does under pitching do? As far as I've read, the most commonly reported problem is that it leads to a different and usually less desirable flavour profile in the beer. Does it usually make it awful and undrinkable - I'd say not likely.

I'd say your biggest concern is that you want to make sure all the fermentable sugars have been converted. So I recommend you do 2 things: first, find out what the expected FG of the beer is projected to be. If the beer came with instructions or you pulled the recipe off the net then the FG will likely be printed somewhere there. If not you can even plug the list of ingredients you used to make the beer into an online calculator and it will tell you what the FG is likely to be. Remember it's usually a ball park figure, but you'll usually get within a few points. Next, take a gravity reading and see where it's at. If you're within a few points then wait the couple of days and do it again. If exactly the same then it's done fermenting. If you're satisfied with its clarity then go ahead and bottle it. If you want it clearer then leave it alone for longer - it won't harm. Putting the entire fermenter into a fridge, a process called 'cold crashing' will get it VERY clear within a few days. Many Brewers, myself included, will wait at least 3 weeks before even thinking of taking a FG reading to make sure that it's ready to bottle. This also helps us to ensure that the beer is clearer than before. Rushing it usually gives a murkier beer.

Andy's explanations are great. The one comment I'd add would be to suggest that if you plan to keep brewing 1 gallon batches, you invest in a refractometer. Andy's explanation, while totally correct, requires you to take (and drink/discard) 3 samples. That's not too significant for a 5 gallon batch, but with a 1 gallon batch, that starts to add up to a lot of beer from your batch. A refractometer will allow you to take the same measurements with much less beer (half an eyedropper's worth). The only caveat is that when measuring fermenting/finished beer, you must make a minor correction (there's a tool in BeerSmith that does it automatically) since the presence of alcohol throws off the reading.

oh yes, sorry, I missed the one gallon part. kombat is right - using a hydrometer requires you to commit more beer into taking the sample - beer that you should be drinking. So a refractometer is the tool you want.

Another method is to just make sure it gets enough time at the right temperatures and within 3-4 weeks you can be sure it's safe to bottle... well, 99% sure.

Got it - thanks.

I bought a hydrometer - I'll take a reading and wait a few days and see if it's settled. I'll see if I can estimate what the FG should be - this was just a starter pack my wife bought me - I'm not sure if FG was defined.

Also, I enjoyed the process, s I think next time I'll get some new gear and step up to increased volumes.

Any suggestions on equipment? I did the mash last time on an electric stove (nightmare), in 5 gallon brew pots. I think I'll get:

A burner
A larger brew pot
Make a mashing tun our of a large cooler (I saw a video on this)
A fermentation bucket
A bottling bucket

Sounds like a good start?

Thanks!

Yep, sounds like a very good start. There's a great video on YouTube on how to build a mash tun that may be the one you're referring to, but be sure you don't use any galvanized steel parts that will come into contactwiththebeer- it's poisonous. For brass you can easily remove the small amounts of lead with a hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mix (Google the ratio).

Once you step up to larger batches you'll presumably also find a wort chiller handy. You can build your own as well for cheaper. There's a few other luxury items that are handy, such as a thermapen (fancy thermometer) and of course, a kegging system. But a lot of this is luxury - you can well be on your way with a large pot, burner and tun.

Success! Well, so far.

So the hydrometer didn't work - I don't think I had a deep enough carboy and I didn't want to waste much of the beer. It's bottled now, it tasted like an English Bitter more than an Amber Ale (which is a good thing for me). Let's see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Next up I think I'll try a chocolate milk stout. Any tips on whether to go with the liquid extract as a newbie or go full pelt into the grains?

Back