how to measure original gravity when using fruit in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem (as I believe you have surmised) is that when you first add the fruit, you can't measure OG, because the water and the carbs from the fruit have not yet homogenized with the wort. And by the time they have, fermentation has started. So rather than measure the OG, you can estimate it.

I wrote article about (partially) this in the May/June 2021 issue of BYO. If you happen to have an online BYO subscription and are suffering from insomnia, you can read it here: Ciphering Fruit Beers

Or you could download the FruitCalc spreadsheet, which does the math for you. You enter the wort's post boil OG and volume, and the amounts and type(s) of fruit/puree/juice from a dropdown list. The sheet computes the effective combined OG. Also, if you enter the expected (or known) FG of the wort component, it will predict the combined FG and ABV. FruitCalc Download

The article and the spreadsheet were designed for beers, but would work equally well for mead.

I use fruit that has been through the freeze/thaw cycle. One time is enough to break down the cell walls. Once the fruit is completely thawed, measure the gravity of the fruit juice & adjust your honey volume to achive your target gravity.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

The amount of sugar in fruit can vary greatly based on the variety, where it was grown, the weather that year, and exactly how ripe it was when picked. Even a few extra days of ripening can have a significant impact on the sugar level. So I don't have much confidence in fruit sugar charts except as a very vague approximation.

What I do when making fruit wine is to freeze/thaw the fruit as @Dan O said, then treat with Kmeta and pectic enzyme. Cover the bucket and let it sit for 12-24 hours. Giving it some time allows the Kmeta to kill any native yeast or bacteria, and the fruit to release most of its juice. After that stir it thoroughly and you can measure the OG.

With fruit wine, I initially add about 1/2 to 2/3 of the sugar that I think I will eventually need, and then add additional sugar after measuring the SG.

Back