how to make a merlot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I drink Blackstone merlot a lot. It's about $10 per 750 ml. I've never made wine though I've done a lot of cider and mead, so I'm not a noob at fermenting.
I get cider from local mills and honey from local beekeepers or online. Where do you get grape juice? What would be the path to an excellent merlot? And is it worth it for the money?

I wonder if there are any wine kits for merlot.. and if you google frozen grapes you can check if anyone is selling either frozen juice or frozen merlot grapes. In the fall, my bet is that many distributors sell lugs of merlot grapes but that would require that you either have access to a press or you buy them in small enough quantities that you can crush and then press by hand (about 70 lbs makes about 6 gallons)...

I have done an oaked merlot from juice. the fall season takes me to my favorite juice farm, when there i am in my world, any seasoned vinifera participant knows what I am talking about. When I grab a few carboys I choose a merlot, pinot noir, rougeon or Leon Millot for my reds , after primary I toast an oak stick in oven at 275 for 4 hours and join it to the secondary, it will sit for 3 months, then 3rd racking it will rest for 8 months.then it may be ready to bottle

I buy buckets of California juice in the fall, and at $60/bucket that comes out to about $2/bottle.
I also buy local grapes that are about $1/lb and that pushes my cost per bottle up a little, but I like helping the local grower.
Your next opportunity to buy buckets of wine grape juice will be in April or May when they arrive from Chile, although sometimes you can find buckets of frozen juice, check with your local home brew shop.
You can buy wine kits that contain a concentrate any time of the year but the cost per bottle is higher and to me its not worth it.
Is this one close to you?
https://www.maltosecart.com/fresh-chilean-grape-juice/toro-negro-chilean-merlot-fresh-juice/
Here's a kit that's supposed to make up to 30 bottles of merlot for about $2/bottle:

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Lovers-...prefix=frozen+wine+grape+,aps,580&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited:
I drink Blackstone merlot a lot. It's about $10 per 750 ml. I've never made wine though I've done a lot of cider and mead, so I'm not a noob at fermenting.
I get cider from local mills and honey from local beekeepers or online. Where do you get grape juice? What would be the path to an excellent merlot? And is it worth it for the money?

You can buy boxed juice kits from homebrew shops. The juice is aseptic/shelf stable so you can make it any time of the year. On the higher end, you'll spend $150 for a 6 gallon batch. WineExpert Private Reserve Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot Wine Kit (w/skins) but that is a premium kit where the origin of the grapes is stated. You can get more generic blends for less than $100.

While I cannot yet comment on how it will turn out as I haven't made it yet, but just purchased the "Private Reserve Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit". Label Peelers and Ritebrew have the best shipped prices I could find...much better than the "advertised" prices you will find elsewhere. This is the top of line kit. There is a Classic kit that I am considering as well for about half the price, but have no idea how they compare.

Here is the link for the "Classic Chilean Merlot Wine Kit"
https://labelpeelers.com/wine-making/wine-kits/classic/classic-chilean-merlot-wine-kit/

Back