How to keep the fermentation temp down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish13

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a stout for the up coming fall and winter seasons, but it's been pretty hot and will be for some time at least that's what Accuweather shows. We don't have A/C as it's not to bad for us inside. Our home stays about 73 to 80 degrees. The fermentation temp. for a stout should be around 60 or 65.... right?

I don't have an extra refer or freezer or chamber. Maybe it's time to buy/built one of those.:D In the mean time is there anything I can do??

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. :mug:

I did the swamp cooler thing for one beer, but it is an absolute utter pita swapping bottles 2-3 times a day. So I searched Craigslist for a few days until I found a 5 cubic foot freezer nearby for $50. Best $50 I've ever spent.

I bet being able to plug in another fridge would be great. I don't have that luxury of extra outlets. I use a swamp cooler for all of my batches now. Skip the water bottles and just get a bunch of those freeze packs that you put in lunches and such. You do have to change them a couple times a day but come on, a pita? Really? To swap out some ice packs? Better than fermenting at 80.

Get one of the rope handled buckets used for parties..(Ice, cold drinks, beer) at WalMart.. about 7-8 or so $$.. put your primary in it and fill it till it just about floats.. This adds temperature stability.. Then add a bottle of frozen water once or so a day depending on the need. Works like a charm. I like it better than my small freezer that I added a separate controller to...

HbgBill said:
Get one of the rope handled buckets used for parties..(Ice, cold drinks, beer) at WalMart.. about 7-8 or so $$.. put your primary in it and fill it till it just about floats.. This adds temperature stability.. Then add a bottle of frozen water once or so a day depending on the need. Works like a charm. I like it better than my small freezer that I added a separate controller to...

That's the route I'm going with. Party bucket, cold water with frozen water bottles. My daughter goes through apple juice like its going out of style (so I already have the bottles on hand ).

Put it in a water bath. Your water in WA should still be somewhat cold. Get a big tote from HD and put your bucket in it with water. Temp the water and swap out ice packs or frozen water bottles as needed.

Back