How to keep saison ester / phenol low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPBeer

Reaction score
I brewed a saison few days ago, and I tasted it yesterday. It was saison-y as hell! Well I like those spicy, fruity ester, I wonder if I can keep them low. I'm planning to brew a fruit saison, and I want the fruit to shine, and the saison-y character to be subtle, like most of today's "farmhouse ale" from lots of sour breweries. Cheers!

I did just that by changing up my yeast. I use TYB Saison Blend and Blend II. Pitch at 65* for ~2 days(1.050) any bigger let go longer. Then raise to 72* and hold till complete. I am consuming one rite now that uses Huel Mellon hops and this yeast really shines those hops up. First beer I've made that those hops actually are good. Repeating this for a party in Aug.

Cooler fermentation temps should reduce the yeast 'funkiness'. Also the type of yeast matters. I use Belle Saison and wyeast 3711 which both have pretty mild flavor profiles although some don't care for them because of that quality.

if you want a little floral funk use saf04 a tiny bit hot, or if you don't want the funk at all, use chico, saison yeasts are all about the funk, you can lower the temps but you might stall, saisons like it hot, phenolics are the reward of a properly fermented saison beer. Don't be a yeast abuser, don't fear the funk!! ;)

Back