How to keep hop cones tight while drying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
So I've started harvesting a couple dozen mature Cascade cones, as a kind of test as the rest of the cones mature. I'm drying them on window screen stretched over a wood frame, in my shed which is totally dry. As the cones dry, they are starting to fan out and lose their "cone" shape -- the leaves lift away from the stem. Is this normal? What can I do to prevent it?

I'm also getting a surprising lack of smell from them, though I'm 90% sure they were mature -- dark green, papery, lupulin is gold not yellow, etc.

They definitely open up as they dry. In fact they should start opening a little before you pick them. Is this the first year? If so they won't have much aroma at all, in fact they could smell very much like fresh mowed lawn for the first year or 2.

As stated, the cones will open as they dry. That's actually one of the best indications that they are getting close to dry enough..

Lack of smell? Second on the plant is young. Give them two years. Also let the rest of the cones mature longer and see if they start to smell.

You can dry hop, just don't expect too much.

Latest posts

Back