How to Isolate Yeast from Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question monsuier: "if you are really into wild ferments, you can pitch at this stage..."- Pitch with the mold on top? Or skim and pitch?
I'm trying to inoculate some "sour cultures" out of the bottom of a comercial brew. I've been waiting for my cake to develop, have plenty of nasties up top but my plan was to skim, decant, and pour in new starter must.
Not trying to steal yeast, but rather to practice a "wild" starter.

Question monsuier: "if you are really into wild ferments, you can pitch at this stage..."- Pitch with the mold on top? Or skim and pitch?
I'm trying to inoculate some "sour cultures" out of the bottom of a comercial brew. I've been waiting for my cake to develop, have plenty of nasties up top but my plan was to skim, decant, and pour in new starter must.
Not trying to steal yeast, but rather to practice a "wild" starter.

You can pitch the whole thing or skim and pitch. It's up to you. The mold up top is similar to a SCOBY in kombucha. It's a complex mix that may or may not be better than pitching just the bottom. It really does put the "wild and unpredictable" into the mead making if you pitch at that stage.

This method does not make use of a stir plate. Do I need to agitate the solution from time to time or will there be enough O2 in solution to allow the yeast to reproduce without problems? Thanks

To get a isolated culture you can also plate them out on agar plates, grow the colonies up and then grow the wild yeast from the honey after identifying and selecting the colony. Great write up though.

Ah missed that. My bad! Either way good right up for people who are unfamiliar with the process.

Diluted 50cc of honey in 200 cc water last week and I see that this is nicely fermenting but I have a couple of questions -
1. Bray, you recommend that we allow the solution to ferment one month. Why a month? Would you not expect all the sugars to be fermented far sooner? Should I not be taking an hydrometer reading rather than waiting for a month?
2. Your process makes no mention of adding nutrient but honey is notorious for being nutrient poor for the yeast. Is there a good reason not to add nutrient?
Thanks.

1. It is a way to determine if the process has a chance for success. After a month, yeast settle out on bottom in a powdery layer (if there is any yeast). Keep in mind I've had a few batches that never fermented. If you don't see the powdery yeast sediment on the bottom, then there is very little chance of success. You could isolate before, but it's a gamble on wasting your plates.

2. I am trying to select for a very robust yeast that naturally ferments honey. Nature doesn't add nutrients so some yeast have figured out a way to do without. Also, nutrients could be a potential source of contamination. Sterility of nutrients is questionable.

Latest posts

Back