How to identify esters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milholen

Reaction score
I just tried my first successful all-grain batch. It's carbed up nicely. It's a delicious IPA -- the best by far that I've ever brewed. I'm really happy with it however I do notice a very slight fruity/estery taste that comes through in the middle. I'm thinking this is the result of esters due to pitching at too high of a temp. I used a wort chiller and measured the temp from the wort chiller output which I know now is not accurate since the copper chiller really just cools the wort immediately surrounding it and the overall temp of the wort could be much higher. Anyway, I estimate that I pitched in the high 80s. How do I know if the fruity taste coming through is the result of ester production? What's your experience with ester production and higher pitching temps? I'm trying to pin down the cause of this slight off taste so I can correct it on future batches.

Background info:

Mashed 75 min @ 152F
WP California Ale yeast
2-Row Pale Ale base malt
Crystal 40 specialty 8% of grain bill

Thanks for the help!:mug:

Usually, fruity flavors are a characteristic of the yeast. Unless you added something fruity to it (citra hops taste a bit like mango, or Juicy Fruit gum!), you can bet that the fruity flavors come from the yeast.

ok but California Ale yeast doesn't ususually come through as fruity to me. Are you saying that pithcing at high temps won't produce fruity/estery flavors? That's what I've always heard.

I've heard that *fermenting* at higher temps *can* cause esters, depending on the *yeast*. In wheat beers (and maybe Belgians?) this is a desirable thing. In an IPA, not so much!

(You said you just started doing AG, what's your mash temp and volume? If you want a "cleaner" taste -- less malty -- then a lower mash temp and higher mash volume should help, IIRC. Still, mash temp and volume won't account for a "fruity" taste, as far as I know.)

as I said in my original post -- my mash for this recipe was 152F for 75 minutes.

I don't think mash temp has anything to do with ester production. I think it's more pitching too hot or pitching with too much yeast. At least this is what I've read - I don't know from personal experience.

My understanding of mash temp is that it will affect the body and fermentability of the wort -- not ester production.

I guess esters are produced from too rapid of a fermentation as a result of pitching too hot? I was hoping someone could elaborate on this.

Whoa. Sorry if I ticked you off, I guess I missed that part. Kind of how you missed where I said mashing has nothing to do with ester production. Here, LMQTFY:

Still, mash temp and volume won't account for a "fruity" taste, as far as I know.

Good luck, buddy.

LOL, Justibone you didn't tick me off at all. Sorry if my post came off like that. I was confused as to why you would mention the mash at all when I asked a question about ester production in relation to pitching temps.

Cheers. :)

ok but California Ale yeast doesn't ususually come through as fruity to me. Are you saying that pithcing at high temps won't produce fruity/estery flavors? That's what I've always heard.

No, that's not what I meant. Sorry I wasn't very clear!

High temperature fermentations WILL produce fruity flavors. Sometimes pitching warm makes the yeast go crazy, becoming active before the wort cools to the desired fermentation temperature. So, if you pitch at 80 degrees the yeast may reproduce quickly and start fermentation quickly too. You may have a large part of fermentation over before the temperature even drops to 65 degrees. That will produce off-flavors, including esters. Usually, even with a clean ale yeast like 1056, you'll get esters above 72 degrees.

Latest posts

Back