How to get a stronger fruit flavor from a fruit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokemxer

Reaction score
So I figure this has probably been covered about 2000 times through out the forum... But since it hasn't turned up in my searches I guess I'll bring it up again.

I have a blackberry wheat (my supply guys were out of raspberry) sitting in my secondary about ready to bottle. I was intending to make this beer for my wife, in hopes of getting her to enjoy me brewing as much as I enjoy it. Basically, I know she's going to want a very fruity, sweeter beer than what I have sitting in my carboy. And honestly, I even would like something with a bit more fruit flavor..

Here's the recipe, in case it helps:

7lbs Alexander wheat malt extract
1 lb malted white wheat
1/2 lb carapils malt
4 oz raspberry extract
- ( I used blackberry)
2 oz hallertauer pellets
Wyeast American wheat yeast

I fermented this for around 3 weeks, then moved to a secondary with about 2lbs of black berries, (I boiled these per my suppliers recommendation). At this time, I also added the blackberry extract. I let it sit for another 3 weeks in the secondary while I was away for work. When I got home, I was hoping for the perfect blackberry wheat, but really I just have something that tastes like a standard wheat beer.

So... Is there anyway to up the blackberry flavor at this point? Can I just add more extract? Or am I going to have to convince my wife she loves wheat beers and try again next time?

Use frozen berries(1-1.5 lb per gallon), defrost and squish them in their bags, spray bags with sanitizer and pour into secondary.

You could try adding a blackberry flavoring at bottling? If the extract you have has no sugar you could add some at bottling. Or figure out how much sugar is in it and use it as your priming sugar.

Back