How to fix my blunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncruliar

Reaction score
Just realised that I have made a major blunder... Have been brewing a treacle oatmeal stout today and just realised that I used double the amount of hops and treacle that I should have done. That has pumped up the OG by ten points and the ibu from 35 to 70. So what do I do now? Leave it as it is? Ditch it? Mash some more grain to make it into a bigger batch, but without hops and treacle and then blend it? What would you do?

I would do as you are thinking. Brew the second beer without the treacle and hops for blending after the fermentations are complete.

I'd leave it until finished and make up my mind from there. Remember that IBUs deteriorate with age, so it will be less bitter a year from now.

If this is a 5gal batch, i'd suggest getting some dark DME and mixing 1/2gal RO to maybe 1/2 your current OG. Should bring down everything to a more "reasonable" level. Just risk a "thin" feeling in the end.

I'd leave it until finished and make up my mind from there. Remember that IBUs deteriorate with age, so it will be less bitter a year from now.

I don't think this is totally accurate. The bitterness should not change dramatically with age. Hop flavor and aroma will.

I would taste it when finished and blend with a mild beer if it is too bitter.

If most of your extra hops were added late in the boil you might not have too much bitterness, but it might have a lot of hop flavor.

Just realised that I have made a major blunder... Have been brewing a treacle oatmeal stout today and just realised that I used double the amount of hops and treacle that I should have done. That has pumped up the OG by ten points and the ibu from 35 to 70. So what do I do now? Leave it as it is? Ditch it? Mash some more grain to make it into a bigger batch, but without hops and treacle and then blend it? What would you do?

Leave it alone.

Let it ferment out, maybe let it age a month or two, and then bottle or keg, and drink. You might find you like it just fine.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned for next time, but the more you try to fix this batch, the more harm you'll likely end up doing.

Just my 2 cents.

Call it High Gravity Brewing and dilute it at bottling time.
Mayté a little low on bittering.
Muy tu VDC
(Very Drunk Cents)

I don't think this is totally accurate. The bitterness should not change dramatically with age. Hop flavor and aroma will.

I would taste it when finished and blend with a mild beer if it is too bitter.

If most of your extra hops were added late in the boil you might not have too much bitterness, but it might have a lot of hop flavor.

Maybe a misunderstanding on what I've been reading from Mosher. I don't have empirical evidence to back up the statement, so going on my interpretation of his statement in Radical Brewing. Can't leave my beer alone long enough to see if there's a noticeable change in bitterness...:p

Maybe a misunderstanding on what I've been reading from Mosher. I don't have empirical evidence to back up the statement, so going on my interpretation of his statement in Radical Brewing. Can't leave my beer alone long enough to see if there's a noticeable change in bitterness...:p

I go by my heavy beers, they don't taste much different as far as bitterness after aging for over a year and up to 3 years.

Blending is your friend. I do this all the time, sometimes just because I need the space for another keg in my keezer (don't forget to change the name of the beer on the chalkboard :D). Probably start with blending a similar style until you get more brave....

In case anybody is interested I ended up mashing more wort with the original grain bill the next day and then adding that to the overhopped original batch. I have had a couple of bottles already, although it was really brewed for a special event later in the summer. In my opinion it has turned out great. Definitely on my brew again list - hopefully with the right amount of hops first time!

Latest posts

Back