How to fit 3 corny kegs in a 5.0cu ft freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage Iron

Reaction score
St. Croix River Valley in Western Wisconsin
This will be a build thread about how I fit 3 corny kegs in a 5.0cu ft keezer. First off, here is the freezer I bought. I've included some pics (below) of it from the day we picked it up from Best-Buy:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/insignia-5-0cu-on-sale-for-139.645983/#post-8251086

IMG_6398.jpg IMG_6399.jpg IMG_6400.jpg

The collar was made of a simple 2X8 that was painted with grain-smoothing sanding primer and brushed on Rustoleum "white" paint. It matches the factory finish of the freezer nicely. The nice thing about a freezer this size is that one 8' long 2X8 is enough to make the collar. The collar was "glued down" using white silicone caulk. The inside of the collar was lined with one 2X2' square of 1" thick pink foam-board from Home Depot that was covered in aluminum tape. Although I don't have 3 kegs in here yet, you can see that two will fit down in the hole, and one will fit on the hump along with the C02 tank. I still have to finish up some of the tubing plumbing, but at least you can get a sense that things fit. I think these pics will explain most of what you'll need to know, but feel free to ask questions if you have any.

IMG_6655.jpg IMG_6656.jpg IMG_6658.jpg IMG_6659.jpg IMG_6660.jpg IMG_6661.jpg IMG_6662.jpg IMG_6663.jpg IMG_6671.jpg

Well done. I think it's important to list a bunch of model numbers etc so that similiar buyers can track down guidance. Was the 45° manifold a good deal? I've only seen them 90 one way or another.

Well done. I think it's important to list a bunch of model numbers etc so that similiar buyers can track down guidance. Was the 45° manifold a good deal? I've only seen them 90 one way or another.

Good point.... I'll keep it simple by saying that all of the dispensing hardware (manifold, perlick taps, and tubing) were purchased from RiteBrew. As an example, here is the manifold used for this build.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843654.htm

As a side-note, I did have to swap the input barb and the plug on the ends as they were initially in opposite locations.

Last edited:
Bumping this because I bought a 2 tap 5 CF keezer on Facebook and I want to upgrade it to 3 taps. Obviously I’d have to put a corny on the hump. Do you notice any lack of cooling with a collar that tall?

if you can find an older (not made offshore) 5cf freezer on CL or FB...they have the hump in the corner. 3 kegs will fit on the floor.

Five cubic feet is almost 38 gallons. Should be able to dump seven kegs in there with room to spare!

(I couldn't help myself. Sorry).

I recently converted a mini fridge to a two tap kegerator it only held one full size corny. A second 2.5 gallon corny fits on the hump in the rear. If the higher collar causes problems There are options.

Attachments

• D4F0EAA3-0D25-4F12-AAAC-170EC8696414.jpeg
    D4F0EAA3-0D25-4F12-AAAC-170EC8696414.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • D22E61E6-37BA-45EB-BCAB-4C9670C69B7A.jpeg
    D22E61E6-37BA-45EB-BCAB-4C9670C69B7A.jpeg
    973.8 KB · Views: 0
Back