How to fine with Geletin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonlovesbeer

BrandonLovesBeer
Reaction score
What is the procedure for fining with Geletin?

I was reading a brulosophy experiment. It stated,

"I transferred the warm beer to kegs and let them cold crash overnight before fining with Geletin."

Personally, I cold crash my carboy for 24/48 hours, add gelatin to the carboy, and let that sit for another 24 hours, then rack to a keg. I get very little yeast/trub transferred to the keg this way, only the first pint "might" have any, after that it's clear beer!

I did a hybrid of that one.. added ½ tsp of gelatin to ¼ cup of filter water. Microwaved at (3) 10sec bursts, until it was 150F. Cooled for 5 minutes before adding to fermenter.

I then dropped the temp lower for 24hrs (not quite as cold as he had it). I was against the clock so I did it quickly, but it came out super clear!!

½ tsp of gelatin to ¼ cup of filter water. Microwaved at (3) 10sec bursts, until it was 150F.

This works well for me too, although I don't bother waiting for it to cool down any more than it naturally would walking out to the garage.

I usually set the chamber to 34F, wait a day or two, then add gelatin, and the keg a couple days later. Unless I've got a hazy recipe I end up with very clear beer.

For 5 gallons:

Cold crash your beer. After 12-24 h go ahead with fining.

Sanitize your thermo and a microwave safe measuring cup. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. unflavoured gelatin into 1/2 C cool water. Let stand for 15-30 mins or so. Stir. Microwave in 10 s bursts, stirring in between (I just use my thermo to stir). Stop when you get to 150 F.

Pour immediately into the fermenter. No need to stir. Let it ride for another 24-48 h then keg as normal. The first pint or two might still be a bit cloudy as any residual haze settles out. I get brilliant commercial clarity with this after around 1 week in the keg.

Let stand for 15-30 mins or so.

In my experience, this is not necessary.

Also, I'll keep the fermenter cold-crashed post gelatin for 2-3 days, then keg/bottle. I prefer to avoid any extraneous junk in my packaging.

Also, I'll keep the fermenter cold-crashed post gelatin for 2-3 days, then keg/bottle. I prefer to avoid any extraneous junk in my packaging.

Yeah I often skip the blooming step as well although if I'm not in a rush I usually just let it sit and do some other things for 15 mins. Seems to dissolve a little better, but yes not entirely necessary.

I also sometimes leave it to settle longer but usually don't get much junk in the keg. Kind of amazing really... I usually just dump the 1st pint no matter what and it's clear from there on in.

If I don't let it bloom, or if I don't add enough water, I have made jello. Not the tastey kind that Bill Cosby touted.

Does gelatin still work if you add it to ale-temperature beer and don't chill it? Just let it sit for a couple of days?

It should still help drop yeast out but perhaps not any of the chill haze molecules which need cold temperatures to precipitate.

I have read a number of times statements that from a molecular point of view gelatin should not really help with chill haze but in practice I find it helps tremendously. Probably making sure your pH control is in check helps as well.

What is the procedure for fining with Geletin?

I was reading a brulosophy experiment. It stated,

"I transferred the warm beer to kegs and let them cold crash overnight before fining with Geletin."

I add it to beer in the fermentor when the beer is cold. ~31F

I prepare it like this.
attachment.php

I like clear beer. Gelatin is useful.
b64bf7a780d6bc4f44b2ee1cd498ec8b.jpg

Back