How to dry up a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
I just cracked my first chocolate porter and it is amazing! I'm really happy with it. The only problem is that its not quite dry enough. It has a great finish I just think that in competition I'd have points removed.

So here's my recipe:

6gal batch
8lb 8oz American 2row pale
5lb Munich malt
12oz Chocolate 350L
8oz White Wheat

Irish Ale WLP004

I added cocoa powder and lactose to my boil as well.

I just want it to be a little more dry... maybe crisp is he correct term.

Thanks for the input! :)

You could use a more attenuative yeast strain but one that still leaves a great mouthfeel. Maybe Wyeast 1335, or 1450 Denny's Favorite 50.

Lactose is sweet to me, and makes a beer "thick". You could also try cutting the lactose next time.

I would start with cutting the lactose and then try changing yeast strains if it's still too sweet.
If it's still not dry enough then mash lower. Down to 149 or 150.

all good advice. maybe cut back on the munich malt as well. it provides slightly more body and result in a malty/sweet taste. lactose is commonly used to sweeten stouts, so that'll influence it too. mashing at 152 isn't that high, but dropping it a bit will make it more attenuative. perhaps WLP007 would be a good yeast choice.

Another vote for lose the lactose.

+1 to dropping the Munich, too.

If you are looking for trying to get a drier beer, try pushing your recipe towards a stout by adding a couple of ounces of Black Patent and Roasted Barley. That will cut the sweetness. What were your OG and FG?

Back