How to control carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making some Apfelwein because it looks good and everyone is cussing at EdWort :mug:. I wondering if i should carbonate the cider or leave it be. Do you just adjust the amount of priming sugar to control the carbonation?

I like my ciders carbonated, but thats me. You can go in beersmith and adjust the volumes of CO2 you want. That will tell you have much priming sugar you need to get the volumes of CO2 you want. Just make sure you get your volume (gallons) of cider correct!

I like medium-low carb on my apfelwein. IMO, when I thought I would get "effervescence" I actually got a carbonic acid bite that made it seem thinner and drier. I like just a bit of fizzle...somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 volumes...still haven't figured out where it's perfect for me. YMMV

While not a big fan of the apfelwein, it is easy to make, and when I do consume, the carbonated variety suits me better. However, I like a tiny bit of sweetness, to bring out the apple - and of course adding sugar will only ferment out more. I've tried a bit of stevia to "back sweeten" and that seems to work well. I think I put about 10 little packs in 5 gallons

Back