How to compute ABW and ABV by SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
So I have a question and I have read and found about 10 different answers... how do I calculate ABW and ABV from the SG reading?

I think that ABV = 1.25 * ABW

How do I calculate ABW from the SG reading in gravity points or the actual SG?

the yeast attenuation... Is that what makes the difference in a beer & wine hydrometer?

you can use a wine hydromter to measure starting OG of beer but the abv scale will be off... Correct?

what is ABW?

Well... attenuation being the actual attenuation or the apparent attenuation? For instance, I just made a heff which had an OG of 52 and ended at 8. It was like... 85% apparent attenuation, but something like 71% actual attenuation.

ABW is alcohol by weight and somewhere I read it was basically OG-FG * 105 or something and ABV is 1.25*ABW. I don't know however how to calculate ABW, I get a ton of different answers.

OG = ABV

I.e.,
a 1.054 OG beer will be 5.4%
a 1.075 OG beer will be 7.5%
Pretty simple heh? (assumes attenuation of 76% by yeast, which is just about exactly what you will usually get).

It may be a good ballpark estimate that may get you close most of the time, but for certain brews it will be way off. For example I recently did a Saison that. was 1.062 but finished at 1.004 for an ABV of 7.6%

The easiest way to get ABV is by doing some simple math.

As was mentioned, ABV= (OG-FG) x 131 It's not exact, but it's very close.

ABW = (OG - FG) x 105

Back