How to clean beer from co2 lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
Tonight I noticed I had some beer in my co2 lines. After reading the threads I could not find any info on how to do this... I see lots of comments on how to avoid this (install check valves, don't overfill the keg, etc) but nothing on how best to clean. I was thinking to remove the co2 line from the regulator, then run star san through the co2 quick disconnects. I have one line from the regulator that gets split in two through a manifold. Should this work fine? Thanks in advance!

Star San is not a cleaner. I would run warm BLC or LLC caustic through for just a few minutes (these are gas lines and this is incidental contact with beer after all) then thoroughly rinse - and then blow out with CO2.

No need for Star San, imo, as it tends to eat into plastics given enough time causing them to turn cloudy and even slick to the touch.

Cheers!

Star San is not a cleaner. I would run warm BLC or LLC caustic through for just a few minutes (these are gas lines and this is incidental contact with beer after all) then thoroughly rinse - and then blow out with CO2.

No need for Star San, imo, as it tends to eat into plastics given enough time causing them to turn cloudy and even slick to the touch.

Cheers!
This is what I went with. I disconnected the line from the regulator and pumped BLC through the gas lines with help from a small keg, an additional gas disconnect, and co2. Sure enough, I got some bright yellow residual NEIPA out of there. After soaking with BLC I ran water through the lines then a few blasts of co2 to dry it all out. Thanks @day_trippr !!

Back