How to clean a march pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helloworld

Reaction score
I bought a march pump today and I am curious what the cleaning procedure is. Remove the head and let in soak in PBW?

I bought a march pump today and I am curious what the cleaning procedure is. Remove the head and let in soak in PBW?

Connect to a vessel, mix PBW with hot water (~150*F IIRC) and recirculate for 10 to 30 minutes. Follow with a clean water rinse and be done with it.

What Gila said, although I do pop the head from time to time. After the brewing session I'll run boiling water through to rinse. If I'm not planning on brewing for a while, that's when I'll pop the head before I store it. I found mold once....

I have cam locks and worked up a female camlock on my hose I use on my chiller. Once I am done brewing if I forgot to run some warm water through the wort pump I will just stick the camlock on the out and run water through it a couple seconds. It doesn't take much and 10-30 minutes as said earlier seems excessive to me. My $0.02

Removing the head is also really simple and I have done that also if I have no plans to brew for a while (winter time)

I have cam locks and worked up a female camlock on my hose I use on my chiller. Once I am done brewing if I forgot to run some warm water through the wort pump I will just stick the camlock on the out and run water through it a couple seconds. It doesn't take much and 10-30 minutes as said earlier seems excessive to me. My $0.02

Removing the head is also really simple and I have done that also if I have no plans to brew for a while (winter time)

OP says the pumps is new. I suggested 10-30 to ensure any manufacturing oils or other chems would be leached from the liquid contacting surfaces.

Do as the others say about the 30 minute run cycles. For me after 4 or 5 batches I will take the heads off and clean them. I usually do this when I also remove my ball valves and clean those manually.

OP says the pumps is new. I suggested 10-30 to ensure any manufacturing oils or other chems would be leached from the liquid contacting surfaces.

I actually had not considered any oils or residue from the manufacturer, thanks for pointing that out. I'll let it run for 30 when it gets here.

Pulse the pump a few times on and off and let it sit the time recommended above. This will ensure that any cavitation bubbles are removed and the other stuff has time to soak.

Back